Forum home Fruit & veg

Mulching round fruit

We inherited a large patch of raspberries at our allotment, I tried to take note of what fruited in summer& Autumn & have pruned accordingly, now I want to suppress weeds on the whole plot, I've dug a few huge roots& runners of brambles up, but I was thinking of putting cardboard and or woodchippings which are easily available at our site down on previously unused ground& also round raspberries then topping up with compost, is this an ok thing to do? I've seen a few bits of Xmas tree in there which I unders may affect soil ph, any advice very welcome thanks in advance

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Help?! Please?!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,590

MAYBE THIS MIGHT HELP?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=979

BUT I HAVE NEVER DONE IT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Thanks pansy, I had a quick look earlier it seemed fine round established plants but said to be bit more careful round newer ones been there all morning weeding & mulching, cold but [email protected] lovely! Thanks for replying x

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Sadly (because it is hard work) you will have to dig up every bramble root.  Cardboard and woodchip will not kill the plants.  It is said that woodchip takes more out of the ground than it puts in as it rots.  But it does look nice.

• thing about putting wood chip around fruit trees is lots of the trees that are cut down and chiped are deseased (not all but do you risk it) atb DD.

only did a bit round a few raspberries, almost all Xmas tree shreddings, got quite s lot of bram roots up, was reading an article where Charles diwding advised putting cardboard down them putting cardboard on top& planting in that, was trying to cut costs by using free wood chippings, actually , was thinking if I did do that , could I cut holes in to plant bigger shrubs deeper? Thanks all for answering 

Gosh sorry for shocking typing, I phone has a mind of its own.....