Split tree branch

I bought an amelanchier tree today and one of the branches has been slightly damaged in transport. It's only very slightly split, I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo.

Should I prune this branch out completely? It's not the best shaped branch to begin with as it's curving inwards but it will leave a gap if I prune it out.

• Is there a glitch with the photos again? I've resized it and it won't add.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,539

Yes, I'm afraid the glitch seems to have returned ... I've reported it but it may not be fixed until they're back in the office on Monday.

Can you put the photo on one of the photo-hosting sites and post a link to it?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

The photo problem seems to be fixed so here is the picture of the branch. 

It's only a small split on a relatively small branch but I'm not sure if it will result in that branch and any growth from it being weaker than the rest of the tree.

I think I would try to save that ... bind it with garden raffia or some of the soft green slightly stretchy plasticky tape sold in garden centres. Keep an eye on it, replacing it as the tree grows and the branch swells. I think that after a couple of years that branch will have 'welded' itself back together. 

Worth trying I think image

Ill keep my fingers crossed. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you, I was hoping I could rescue it! I'll give it a try.

A strip of nylon tights material may do the job and have the necessary amount of 'give' so it doesn't strangle the branch.  

• Excellent, I have lots of old tights! image