Which fertiliser

2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 134

Hello everyone, 

Im a completely novice gardner learning as I go along.

I am so confused as to which fertiliser to buy for my plants.  I have made my beds and plan to grow acid loving plants, (Camelias, Rhododhendrons, Acers) small conifers and a variety of other flowering shrubs. The soil PH is slightly on the aciditic side. 

I am so confused as to which fertiliser to buy! There are many on the market that claim to give the similar result.I have dug in horse manure compost into my beds and want to know if I will actually need fertiliser for planting. 

I have been looking at these fertilisers in particular;

Fish blood & bone

Chicken pellets

Osmocote

Vitax Q4 

Thank you. image

Last edited: 24 February 2018 12:15:21

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 12,266

I prefer organic fertilisers rather than chemically sourced one so BFB orpelleted manure for me.  Round here it's usuallya mix of chicken, cow and horse.  The natural ones feed beneficial soil organisms too and make your soil better.  The chemical ones are not renewable and only feed the plant temporarily.

For plants like camellias, rhodos, azaleas, you can also use composts for ericaceous plants as a mulch or feed.  I'm doing this, mixed with some manure to revive a neglected and poorly magnolia we inherited in this garden.  Worked well last spring so it's getting another dose for this year.

The Vendée, France
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,027

Seem to recall chicken pellets shouldn't be used for acid loving plants.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,799

Chicken manure can be slightly alkaline, so could be a problem for acid loving plants.

Whether in reality this would make a difference, I am not sure.

Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now
  • 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 134

Thank you Obelixx for your help.

I’ll just use BFB, seems like the favoured option after looking at another thread about fertilisers.

Yes I heard chicken pellets are not recommended for acid Loving plants. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 12,266

Didn't know that but then my last garden was alkaline so I didn't grow rhodos and such.   This garden is slightly acid so I shall be indulging in azaleas and such in due course.

The Vendée, France
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,872

GroSure slow release fertiliser by Westland , or MiracleGrow soluble crystals ; the latter also make one for ericaceous plants . Widely available in retail outlets .

Both contain vital trace elements . Have used them for years with excellent results .

• 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 134

Thanks Paul B3, I didn’t know they make one for ericaceous plants. On my shopping list now image 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,872

I think they call it' Miracle-Gro Azalea , Camellia and Rhododendron plant food ' or something like that  .