Planting trees

Hi i have just bought two small garden trees an amalanchier lamarkii and an cercis forest pansy should I plant the most not or wait until the so called "beast from the east" is over I live in essex and we are forecast heavyish snow from Monday on .any ideas  please

• If they are bare root get them in ASAP, if you can’t get them in the right place then heel them in - dig a trench and get soil over the roots. If they are in pots then they will be fine to stay in them.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,669

I think I'd wait until the beast from the east has departed.
    I'm also in essex and have several potted soft fruits to plant out. I'm keeping them up against the house in a sheltered south-facing position and will plant them when when temps are closer to normal

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Chere's Pete i thought as much can't believe how cold it is compared to last weekend , we had people walking round in shorts in stanford le hope and I pruned all the roses in the front garden , wish I hadn't now 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,669

Your roses will be fine Dennis. It's been cold anyway so they won't really have gotten underway yet.
    I've seen joggers passing by in just shorts and a T-shirt too - must be mad! I was wrapped up like the Michelin man to walk the dog earlier - and glad I was - the easterly wind is biting!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Yeah me and the wife were going to walk round the nature reserve this morning but quickly changed our minds .roll on spring!!

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,726

Looking forward to working outdoors next week !

Forecast for E.Lincs has (from next Tuesday) shown the wind-chill should feel like somewhere between -8 and -12 Centigrade . Nice !image

• Dreadful  isn't it Paul I'm working outside as well.can't say I'm looking forward to it .seems like a long long winter this year to me maybe I'm getting old or something, been so looking forward to spring feel a bit cheated ,if the forecast is correct.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,726

Hello Dennis

Yes , it has seemed a dreary winter so far . Cold here today but sunny , dry & bright !

I work in partnership maintaining gardens for farmers mainly , plus other business people . Financially and psychologically the rewards are positive , but sometimes think twice when cold and drizzly image .

Your two trees are a good choice . Both should colour well in the Autumn , particularly if you've a slightly acidic soil .

Good growing !