Forum home Problem solving

Rotting apple tree

Our apple tree has had some substantial branches chopped off years before we bought the property - the stumps have decayed away so much so that water is pooling inside the tree - at the end of last summer I found hundreds of slug eggs in there.  I have included some pictures.  Is there anything I can do to save or prolong the life of the tree?  Would it help to drill a hole to drain the water away? 

It would be a shame to lose the tree and it is still producing fruit - any advice would be very welcome...

Thanks in advance,

R.

imageimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,830

YOUR TREE IS BEAUTIFUL AND QUITE HAPPY.

HERE IS A PAGE FROM BERNWODE NURSERY’S WEBSITE SHOWING AN APPLE TREE THAT IS MUCH OLDER AND MORE DECREPIT THAN YOURS AND WHICH IS STILL FRUITING.

ENJOY

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks!  So just ignore the water and let it grow old gracefully?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,396
    RobertH says:

Thanks!  So just ignore the water and let it grow old gracefully?

See original post

Yes ... it's a beautiful and venerable old 'un .......... as it gently decays it'll provide a wonderful habitat for all sorts of interesting wildlife  ... my guess is that all sorts of tits will be hunting for insects in the branches ... possibly troupes of long tailed tits (Lollipop birds).  If it's leaning ( I can't tell from here) it might be worth while making a sturdy wooden prop to counter the lean ... if you look here and scroll down http://www.bernwodeplants.co.uk/oldesttree2.htm 

You have a beautiful tree ........... I'm very envious. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,396

image  I've just seen that I posted the same link as Pansy ......... I love that website ..........image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

But if you love the variety, plant a new tree too.  Or a different variety in case the inevitable happens.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,843

RobertH

You've probably got something unique in your neighbourhood there ; its antique charm only further enhanced by the beautiful moss adorning it !

• Thanks everyone.  Esp. pansyface and dovefromabove - really useful link.  Lets hope the tree has got many more years to go.

R.