Forum home Plants

Viburnum Bodnantense dawn in full shade?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried growing a Viburnum Bodnantense in full shade with success? 

I have a shady spot in the garden I really want to fill with this plant and having done some research Viburnum are looking like one of my best options for a shady spot. This is by far my favourite of them all so I'd love to try it.

However, it seems that this ideally likes full sun or partial shade. The spot it would be in gets up to an hour of direct sun each morning and afternoon in the height of summer, but from Autumn to Spring it won't get any direct sun at all.

Am I likely to embark on a fruitless experiment with this?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Sarah

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415

I think it would probably survive but it wouldn't look much, as a winter flowering shrub, if it never saw any sun.

Not so tall but a good winter shrub for shade is Sarcococca confusa or one of the winter flowering honeysuckles. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007

It flowers and gives its perfume in winter and needs all the sun it can get to maximise both.  If you want perfume in the shade I would endorse Nut's suggestions.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Dear Obelixx / Nutcutlet,

Thank you for your input, perhaps one to save for a different spot in the garden then. Sarcococca confusa could be a very good option, or maybe a camellia Yuletide which I had many years ago.

• Do you know how high Socococca confusa typically grows to? RHS says 1.5 - 2 meters, but other sources are saying up to 4m. I appreciate this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but what is an 'average' height when fully grown?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007

No idea.  Sorry.  I've only ever seen it grown as a hedge before and my own is just a baby at about 50cms high, bought in November.

Camellias grow in full sun round here - sunny Vendée and very hot in summer.  I had alkaline soil in my last garden so all I can tell you is not to choose one if the spot will get early morning sun as this thaws frozen flower buds too fast and they go brown and die.  They also need plentiful water in July/August/September when they are setting their flower buds for spring.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you.