frost proof bedding for this week

I'd like to do some garden pots as a surprise for my mother next weekend...just primroses and pansies - will they survive frost? It is just for a family occasion for 2 days so could buy and plant up on Friday afternoon if that's more sensible ? In the west midlands si

• so still frosty here - Was planning on using cheap Lidl / Morrison's bedding  - is what I will find in store robust? Canalsi

• Homebase and Aldi nearby too - many thanks for any advice. Itneeds

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,748

Primroses and Pansies are normally hardy ; it's just if the plants you purchase have been raised under glass or polytunnels and havn't had the time to acclimatise to whats looking to be the coldest snap for five-years beginning next week !

Personally , I stand to lose a lot of plants by the end of this frosty spell ; I havn't the facilities to protect all of them . (E.Lincolnshire)

Last edited: 22 February 2018 20:32:50

• Thanks so much...I was not aware of the upcoming cold snap...I think I will keep them in her garage over night and bring them out in the day (it's a big brick built garage so I am guessing won't freeze over night? ). I'm so inexperienced. .any advice welcomed!

Good idea to shelter during the day in a garage (the plants that is)image ; just be careful where they stand out during the daytime ; talking of quite severe windchill factors , enough to freeze the pots solid !

Fairweathered

If you click on 'PaulB3' on top left , you'll see my brief biography . 

Gardening and cultivating plants is a learning curve , we are all 'inexperienced' in one particular 'field' or another ; no one (even on this forum) knows everything and there are certainly no 'experts' .

I've been growing a vast assortment of plants for nearly forty-years now , am still learning and making mistakes .

Don't be afraid to ask any advice on this forum ; seem to be a helpful and friendly bunch (sometimes)image !!

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,626

Good plan, fairweathered. Water them when you put them in their 'presentation' pots but then don't give them anymore while it's so very cold. It got down to minus 5 here last night - taller daffs have collapsed but the little tete a tete ones are flowering away, as are the primroses in a tub by the door. 

Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • Can we just point out that although a hardy plant will survive this weather...you have to be able to dig it into the ground, which is looking like it’s going  to be frozen solid for the next two weeks. 

Absolutly wonderful idea but I would postpone it and make it lovely for her in the summer instead. 

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Just a thought, I got some indoor plants in fancy pots for my Birthday Monday, would this be a good idea for your Family days? They will be given plenty of light in the Conservatory then repotted later when it is warmer. We had a frost today though it is now sunny in the N.E. Knowing our weather usually March is the coldest month I would not put anything outside and nothing is showing in my garden yet the Bulbs have more sense than show their faces.

Frank.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,626

fairweathered said these plants are to be in pots, not in the ground, so the frozen garden isn't an issue at this point. House plants can be lovely if you have the right conditions to keep them. I have neither windowsills nor a conservatory so have no houseplants. Fairweathered's Mum may be similarly challenged for houseplant room

Flying...
    Or am I falling?