Forum home Problem solving

Bluebells Weedkiller

I know this thread will upset some people but here goes...I have a massive problem with bluebells taking over a large border, tried the usual method digging out the bulbs and root to no avail. Was wondering if I chopped the leaves before flowering and then sprayed with weed killer, if this would kill the bulbs?

• If you do a google search you'll see a post on some site where someone mixed a little wallpaper paste in a pot with glyphosate and painted it onto bluebell leaves before flowering. The paste holds the glyph in contact with the leaves and gives it enough time to get through the waxy coating.

I've not tried it myself but the logic is there. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,127

chop the leaves and then spray. What will you be spraying?

• Was going to cut the leaves then spray with a glyphosphate, thinking it would be more effective.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,271

glyphosate needs to be absorbed through foliage to work. It's neutralised on soil contact.

Devon.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Weed killer is not instant.  If you must, spray on leaves and wait (maybe a month) until everything is dead. Do not be tempted to clear the dying foliage.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,843

I hope and presume you're referring to the infamous Spanish bluebell and not the English Native !

• B3B3 Posts: 13,213

The bulbs go down close to the earth' s core where they commune with marestail roots.

Hoe them off at ground level and forget about them until next year. Rinse and repeat.

There are much more interesting and productive things to do in your garden

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,843

B3

'the Earths core'.........I like it !image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,396
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 13,213

Very interrrrresting

In London. Keen but lazy.