Dwarf Rhododendron or Patio rose ??

Hi

I am looking to buy either of the above to add some colour to my small courtyard type garden. Need something long lasting, colourful and easy to look after. What would be the best to have in my garden that has partial sun and shade against a fence on a barked border ? Would be potted in a container. Any help welcomed.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,028

I have a rhododendron arctic tern in the ground which is a very pretty small rhodo and would be happy in a pot with the right compost
    A rose will offer a much longer flowering period though

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

The situation of dappled shade would suit the Rhodo more but Pete is right it's season is limited - I swap mine with different pots depending on the time of year. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,472

Roses will give a longer flwoering season and also perfume.  If you go for simpler, rather than double or cabbage, blooms, they'll also provide nectar and pollen for insects.

David Austin roses list tehse as suitable for containers in some shade - https://www.davidaustinroses.com/us/specific-planting-situations/roses-for-pots-and-containers-shade 

Just be sure to give it the biggest pot you can manage and the best compost and regular feeding and watering in the growing season as the nutrients available in the compost will only last 90 days or so and roses will be producing fresh foliage from around March and then blooms till about December - if encouraged well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you for all the helpful tips and comments- I have purchased one of each !

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,472

Good luck.  Let us know how you get on and maybe post some pics when they flower.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw