Forum home Problem solving

Leftover turf and topsoil

Hi GWers, I’ve recently dug a 1.5ft deep long trench in the garden for the new path which is nearly complete, however I now have about a tonne of turf and good topsoil sat in a sad heap at the far end (on pavers, it’s a sort of far-end social/bbq area) but with summer a few months away I want to know what’s the best thing to do with it all? Seems a shame to get someone to pick it up and take it away but I don’t want to look at a heap all summer. Your advice please!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,396

Hi Matty image

I would stack it all, upside down, in a heap in a quiet corner of the garden where it will rot down and turn into useful loam for topping up your beds and borders and mixed with garden compost will make you a marvellous potting medium and save you a fortune.

If it doesn't look too great,  as soon as the bad weather is over I'd poke trailing nasturtium seeds into it and they'll cover it with foliage and flowers all summer while it's turning into loam. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MattyDMattyD Posts: 28

Thanks guys. Loam sounds like a good use of it.