Bay Tree

Have just had a standard b tree have repotted a few months ago .However there’s a lot of infected leaves brown specs/small holes !Have taken off slot of the infected leaves.Just like to know if I need to spray with any insecticide or any other treatments?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,893

IS YOUR TREE OUTSIDE?

IF SO, AS AN EVERGREEN ITS LEAVES STAY ON THE PLANT FOR A LONG TIME. AS A RESULT, THEY HAVE TO FACE WIND DAMAGE, HAIL, FROST, SNOW, HOT SUN, PASSING INSECTS, CURIOUS AND HUNGRY BIRDS AND JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE KNOWN AS LIFE.

SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT THINGS ARE GOING TO LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE SEEN A BIT OF LIFE.

YOU CAN STILL USE THEM IN COOKING.

NO POINT IN SPRAYING TO KILL THE WIND, THE FROST OR A BIRD THAT HAS LONG FLOWN AWAY.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Yes it is outside?is the infected leaves though not a disease ?I don’t want to spray just like a healthy plant?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,893

PERSONALLY, I WOULD LEAVE IT ALONE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,694

So would I. It has been a cold, wet, windy winter and I think many bays will be feeling a bit tattered.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,637

My bay lives outside on the terrace and is looking a bit tatty as it usually is at this time of year.  In the spring ... April/May I'll give the leaves a spray with a soluble seaweed fertiliser ... that'll perk it up a bit ... I do three that two or three times through the spring and summer.  

Last edited: 22 February 2018 17:26:10

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh