Can you help my photinia?

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 396

imageimage

Two photos are meant to be separated! Oops!

This photinia has been well-looked after and a pleasure to own for a number of years ....but now the righthand side is turning yellow and I am very concerned ...I don't think it can be root damage. Would a feed be appropriate? (I would usually leave it until March) or is there some problem that needs sorting? I would really appreciate some advice.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,344

What type of soil do you have and what type of feed are you giving it? On first opinions, it's either iron deficiency or lacking in Nitrogen. There are possible underlying reasons for that like possible water logging acound the roots or even dry soils.

Photinias are usually tough shrubs. But it looks like you are growing it under some sort of conifer type shrub and I think some type of Ivy running along th bottom. The roots are competing with other strong roots in the area. 

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 396

Thank you for your thoughts, Borderline ...yes, the photinia is growing in a border backed by next door's hedge. There's not much I can do about that but I will remove as much ivy as I can. We live in Dorset and the soil appears to be neutral: I feed with growmore every Spring. I have now applied an iron supplement and hope this will have some effect. Thanks again.