Forum home Problem solving

Removing leaving trees/ bushes!

Any advice 

Should I remove two leaning trees that I've inherited when we moved in to our new home; or should I leave and let nature take its course.  A large amount of birds seem  use them.

imageimageimageThanks a novice gardener.

• I would  remove them and I find it very hard to be ruthlessimage

They are not things of beauty, they constrain your use of the garden and they are not even growing at ground level. The soill looks to have been cut away from round their roots, with inevitable damage so they will not thrive. No doubt why they are leaning, so they are unsafe too, but it should make it a bit easier to get them out.

If you replant with an attractive and well chosen tree and some shrubs for cover the birds will soon be happy again,  and your garden will look much betterimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the top one looks like it is/was a cordon apple or pear tree, you might be able to prune that back into shape and keep it, the middle one is a buddlia, you could take it off at ground level and it'll come back

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,941

That buddlea would look lovely in the summer if you cut it right down low. The bees love them. The flowers will be much bigger for a chop. You can then do the same every year to keep it In check.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for all your advice. I will take them on board when I make a decision. To keep or remove. I didn't even know what they where called but now do, so thanks. 

Carl