Forum home Problem solving

Alpina clematis

imageimage

Last spring I planted two Alpina clematiswhich are described as evergreen? In November the leaves mainly withered and turned brown as in the photos. Will they regrow or should I cut these type 1clenais down now?

• Joy90Joy90 Posts: 35

Sorry I can’t get my photos to appear of the clematis.image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574

There's a glitch with photos at the mo.  I should wait a month yet in case any new buds form on the old brown wood and, if not, the stems will at least protect the crown from a bit of frost and they may shoot form the roots.  Patience meantime.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255

Hi Joy image

There's a glitch on the site today ... the tech team are sorting it so hopefully we'll be able to post pics again soon ... looking forward to seeing your clematis image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks obelisk something was saying be patient! I did just break of a tiny bit at the end of one stem near the top and it was alive inside. It’s just they were said to evergreen and so it worried me when 90% of the leaves turned brown or yellow brown. 

Thanks also dove from above regarding the website and I will post piccies tomorrow if I can!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531

I didn't think clematis alpine were evergreen?

I just checked my Christopher Lloyd book and he describes them as deciduous but on the garden centre label it says evergreen!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255

My C. alpinas definitely aren't evergreen image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alpina clematis are Atragene Group and not evergreen, if you scratch the stems near the growing tip and it is green then your plant is alive and well

Oh good hopefully they will green up again in a few weeks. Do I need to remove all the drab brown foliage Richard?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574

Wait till buds form and grow a bit then remove any brown stem back to just above the top bud.   As soon as you do see buds, give them a generous dose of special clematis food to help beef them up for flowering.   Young clems need help to get established and that can take a year or two so be sure to encourage them.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw