Fertilisers.

Hi . I was wondering if I am doing the right thing .Over many years my garden has had lots of organic matter dug in to it . 

Now twice a year I use ,bone meal ,or blood fish and bone .

Am I doing the right thing ?

Thanks for any ideas .

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,316

I would not use bone meal, but FBB, or Growmore, would be fine.

Bone meal if it has any use, is really just for root development and is not a general purpose fertiliser.

I would still mulch with organic matter as well.

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Rubee, that depends on your soil, so it is impossible to answer for us. :) Look around your garden, does the plants look healthy? Then they get what they need. 

Punkdoc. Bone meal is a fertilizer and has a use, as it slowly release phosphorus. 

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,553

Rubee....you might find this old thread helpful in answering your query.......

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/bone-meal-or-fish-bone-and-blood/42604.html

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!

Not sure I agree Fire Lily.

Yes, it does contain Phosphorus, but evidence suggests, that the majority of it is not available to plants.

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
  • What evidence punkdoc? Could you link to it?

Sorry, nothing to hand, but previous reading has suggested, that most of the phosphate in bone meal is not in a soluble form and remains within the soil for prolonged periods of time.

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
  • Reading what? 

I never believe such statements, until I can read the scientific source, as most of such claims origin from producers of other products. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874

I mulch with organic manure once a year and FBB the border in February.  I then feed the plants during their flowering period with whatever suits the plants.  I find this keeps the soild in good condition and gives the plants a boost when they need it most.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

Fire Lilly, you are free to believe what you wish, I come from a scientific background and my reading was to inform my gardening. I no longer use bone meal as I do not believe it works.

If you wish to use bone meal, all I would say, is that you will still need a source of Nitrogen and Potassium, so will still need to use another fertiliser.

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,924

I’m probably the only one here who doesn’t use fertilisers. I just pile on my home made compost and leave it at that.

I watched a programme years ago that said your soil will make what it needs.  Whether that is a true scientific fact I don’t know, but my garden doesn’t lack anything as those who know me will verify 

I did use chicken pellets when I first started as I got rid of 100’ length of conifers and thought the ground may need something. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.