Forum home Problem solving

Fertilisers.

Hi . I was wondering if I am doing the right thing .Over many years my garden has had lots of organic matter dug in to it . 

Now twice a year I use ,bone meal ,or blood fish and bone .

Am I doing the right thing ?

Thanks for any ideas .

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,070

I would not use bone meal, but FBB, or Growmore, would be fine.

Bone meal if it has any use, is really just for root development and is not a general purpose fertiliser.

I would still mulch with organic matter as well.

Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • Rubee, that depends on your soil, so it is impossible to answer for us. :) Look around your garden, does the plants look healthy? Then they get what they need. 

Punkdoc. Bone meal is a fertilizer and has a use, as it slowly release phosphorus. 

Not sure I agree Fire Lily.

Yes, it does contain Phosphorus, but evidence suggests, that the majority of it is not available to plants.

Somewhere in my heart
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • What evidence punkdoc? Could you link to it?

Sorry, nothing to hand, but previous reading has suggested, that most of the phosphate in bone meal is not in a soluble form and remains within the soil for prolonged periods of time.

Somewhere in my heart
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • Reading what? 

I never believe such statements, until I can read the scientific source, as most of such claims origin from producers of other products. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,353

I mulch with organic manure once a year and FBB the border in February.  I then feed the plants during their flowering period with whatever suits the plants.  I find this keeps the soild in good condition and gives the plants a boost when they need it most.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

Fire Lilly, you are free to believe what you wish, I come from a scientific background and my reading was to inform my gardening. I no longer use bone meal as I do not believe it works.

If you wish to use bone meal, all I would say, is that you will still need a source of Nitrogen and Potassium, so will still need to use another fertiliser.

Somewhere in my heart
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,941

I’m probably the only one here who doesn’t use fertilisers. I just pile on my home made compost and leave it at that.

I watched a programme years ago that said your soil will make what it needs.  Whether that is a true scientific fact I don’t know, but my garden doesn’t lack anything as those who know me will verify 

I did use chicken pellets when I first started as I got rid of 100’ length of conifers and thought the ground may need something. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• RubeeRubee Posts: 5,696

Thank you all for your help .

M U . I will look at that link .Thank you .