Potatoes in containers

Can you tell me what depth of compost to plant my tubers in a shallow growing bag ?  Your article in January Gardeners World just says a layer of compost.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,450

The potato growing guide handed out at my local potato day says of growing them in containers:

A container 18inches deep and 16 inches diameter will hold 2 seed potatoes.

Put 4 inches of compost in the bottom of the pot, mixed with perlite or gravel. Add the potatoes, cover with 4 inches of compost. Keep adding compost as the plant grows, until it reaches the top of the container and then let it grow normally. Water well but take care not to over water.

I doubt you'll have much luck growing them in a normal tomato growbag - they need deep compost. Best thing is probably to empty some of the growbag into a pot and follow the instructions as above. 

In my experience, getting the watering right can be quite tricky.

Last edited: 20 February 2018 08:49:12

You just want somebody listening to what you say 
    It doesn't matter who you are 
  • seyfadesseyfades Posts: 142

I grew my in Wilko’s potato grow back last year, following the instruction above without the sand or gravel, Mi fed the compost with potato fertiliser and blood , fish and bone. 

However I went extra step by putting the bags on a dugged section of my garden to all water into the roots. I was impresses with the harvest.

• seyfadesseyfades Posts: 142
    seyfades says:

I grew my in Wilko’s potato grow back last year, following the instruction above without the sand or gravel, Mi fed the compost with potato fertiliser and blood , fish and bone. 

However I went extra step by putting the bags on a dug section of my garden to all water into the roots. I was impressed with the harvest.

See original post