Cornus

floraltipsfloraltips Posts: 63

Is this a cornus alba? If it is I have read on here that it needs cut back now. So how far do I prune? Is it ground level, leave 6 ins, 12 ins...I just don't know. Ideally I'd like to end up with a nice upright plant and not the sprawler that I have now. Any help please.imageimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,817

It looks like it might be cornus sanguinea. 

Can you take a photo of it now, without the leaves?

Devon.
  • floraltipsfloraltips Posts: 63

Thanks Hosta. It's in my daughter's garden and will probably be a couple of days before I can get a photo.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,145

They are sprawlers, I'm afraid. Very pretty, though and easy to grow. You can cut it back any time now, to just above ground level.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,899

I think I'd get a precise ID before going in with the loppers. It doesn't look like one of the robust coloured stem varieties

Nutcutlet says :

"I think I'd get a precise ID before going in with the loppers. It doesn't look like one of the robust coloured stem varieties"

I concur 100%

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 12,266

Me too.  I had albas and sanguineas in my last garden and, whilst the sanguineas happily suckered about they sulked with a vengeance if hard pruned liked the albas which always responded well.

In my experience, sangunineas do best if you cut out just a third of the stems each year and maybe trim the rest back just a bit to tidy up the size and shape.

For this new garden I shall only be buying albas as I love the glorious red in low winter sun and they give great autumn leaf colour.

Last edited: 20 February 2018 10:42:47

The Vendée, France

Thank you all for the replies. Here are the photos and I apologize if they are upside down but I have footered around with them for over an hour. When I open them they're grand but when I insert to the post they flip.

Anyway hope they help with the id. They are budding so I think the prune needs to be soon.

image   image   image

Last edited: 21 February 2018 21:26:54

My gut still says sanguinea. I'd follow Obs' advice.

Devon.

Thank you Hosta. I will follow Ob's advice. Prune third out, light trim and we'll see how it behaves image