Pot Size

Hi
i am in need for some info about Eucalyptus gunnii tree and new to gardening, apparently it can be grown in pots/ containers and i need to know what size to use to make them grow more "bushy/side ways"at first, rather then taller,but all i find is about liter sized pots, meaning nothing to me, as my aunt many years ago told me as far as i remember, larger width and shallow pots, more bushy less tall, so is this true and what width should i use lol
Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,652

The shape of the pot will not influence the way it grows other than, if the pot isn't deep enough for the roots you'll have a very unhappy and stunted plant which doesn't look good and which may be unhealthy and suffer from drought and die. 

The Eucalyptus gunnii I can see from here is taller than all the houses around here.  

To make them grow bushier you coppice them  regularly every year or so like this

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/eucalyptus/eucalyptus-pruning.htm 

However, you'll still need a substantial container to grow it in if you can't plant it in the ground ... something the size of a small skip comes to mind ... I don't think it's a good idea at all.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh