Forum home Plants

Help me identify this Plant!

Hi image

Any suggestions to what this Plant is? Sorry I haven't got a photo of it in the garden 99% sure I would have bought it as part of one of the T&M offers in the Gardner's World magazine but I have checked the little cards you get with the  orders and I can't identify it.The plant grew to about 5ft and the foilage was kind of spiky. Need to know if it's a perennial as if it's not I will have a big gap in my border this summer, I also might move it because novice that I am I put it at the front rather than back.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016

Looks like one of the argyranthemums to me.  These can be annual or perennial depending on which you have.   Yours looks like "Butterfly" which is an annual but who knows?  There are hundreds of forms and it may come back or have self seeded.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,752

If it grew to 5 feet it is unlikely to be an Argyranthemum as they only grow to a maximum of 2 feet. It looks like one of the Helianthus family - which is huge. I am very sorry that I cannot be more specific than that though.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016

Some forms do get over 120cm high and the RHS lists a mere 584 of them from 30cms high to 4 or 5 times that height so who knows?

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw