Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tastiest tomatoes?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I agree about sungold. It was the first one I'd pick as I walked through the polytunnel. 

Agree with Lyn, as per usual, re Roma for pasata and soup.

Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Roma need quite a bit of space, you don’t pick out side shoots on those.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• They are enormous! I'm the same though - on black russian and black krim the yield is definitely smaller. And Sungold wins taste for me every time too.

• I've grown at least 50 different varieties over the last few years, and never get tired of considering new varieties or sharing or swapping rare seeds with like-minded growers.

Of the ones I've tried so far, and on the basis purely of taste, my top 4 would be:

Dixiewine, Summer Cider, Black Icicle, Orange Banana.

• Hi Chris - what wonderful names. I often enjoy the names almost as much as the tomatoes! I'd love to try Black Icicle - I'll look it up image

• SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723

Sungold gets a vote from me, seems pretty resistant to most of the diseases round here too. I liked the taste of the Tigerella we had last year but it seemed to go from hard and unripe to sweet but mushy overnight.

This year I'm going with some real randoms

Victorian Dwarf

Sibirskiy Stambouyi

Zyska

And then sungold as always.

Yes it does look like someone dropped the scrabble box with these!

Last edited: 19 February 2018 10:55:35

• I think I'll remember Zyska for my next game of scrabble!!! ?

• I am fairly new to GYO but my fav toms last year were Orange Paruche F1. They are soooo sweet and not acidic at all, which is my preference. They were also early cropping with edible fruits in June (not sure if that is normal or just because we had a warmer than average spring).

I only had one plant last year, 50p in the clearance corner in B&Q, but have a packet of seeds for this year.

•  

The ones I like the best are Sungold, Sweet Million, Black Cherry (nice, but prone to cracking, it's chocolate coloured ones in the photos) and my leader for summer 2017 was Giulietta F1 really good cropper, early and quite meaty and tasty, makes good tomato sauce but brilliant in salads as well
    To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow - Audrey Hepburn
  • lulublulub Posts: 1
    I poppe down to my local GC on the off chance earllier today and came home with 6 baby Black Opal tomato plants and 6 Golden Sunrise tomato plants.  Being new to growing these varieties I wondered if anyone had any gems of advice that would encourage me & them to grow?  Also which is the bext plum tomato to grow in the Home Counties?