Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird pecking at windows

2»

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,381

I have seen blue tits tapping my bedroom window - thought they were just winding up the cats! 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,880

Yes we have had birds attack the wing mirrors on our cars too.  And they nibbled the rubber around the side windows on ours and our neighbour’s cars.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,048

This behaviour is not uncommon. He sees his reflection and thinking it is another male, he is trying to drive away this rival from his territory.  Not a potential mate as suggested above. The behaviour will stop as soon as the serious business of actually nesting is really underway.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,364

An old neighbour had a pied wagtail attacking his wing mirrors so often, he took to putting socks over them.

I used to have mallards peck the windows to encourage me to feed them.image

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,254

HOSTA.image

EVERY YEAR IN FEBRUARY WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A CROW. 

I THINK IT IS THE TIME OF YEAR WHEN BIRDS ARE PAIRING UP AND CHASING OFF RIVALS. OUR OLD LAD OBVIOUSLY DOESN’T LIKE THE LOOK OF HIS.

I JUST WISH HE WOULD CLEAN HIS MUDDY BEAK BEFORE HE STARTS. DOESN’T HALF MAKE A MESS OF THE GLASS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 331

I agree with Dove. The chickens at my workplace tap on the glass too, probably thinking there's another chicken. Quite funny to watch.