Forum home Fruit & veg

Blueberry bush - no fruit

I've got a nice blueberry bush. Small but nice. However, it doesn't flower nor fruit at all. It's next to an apple tree, but no other fruit trees.

It's a dwarf variety and instructions were not to prune at all.

The leaves are great, but I would like fruit. Any tips? 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,998

Too early, well assuming you are in the UK, I have 3 early,mid and late, say they arent hardy so are in unheated greenhouse, last year when they were only one year old, had a really good crop, they are in pots erricacius compost. You will get a much better yeald if you plant at least 2 for pollingation.

• Sorry, I didn't mean it's got no fruit now. More that it's never had any fruit and if there's something I need to do to help it flower/ fruit this year, then perhaps now is the time to get that in place.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,998

Tips for you in this months gardeners world mag on blueberries.  I have to admit, as soon as mine start to set fruit, they go into the cage, with the raspberries, and gooseberries, so the birds dont get a look in!

• scroggin says:

Does it produce flower buds? If so are they being eaten by birds before they have chance to open? If the bush doesn't produce any buds then I'm not sure there's much you can do. Blueberries are a tempting treat for birds so once they're set the bushes will need some protection.

See original post

In 2 years so far, it's had one flower, I think, and one berry .that's it. The leaves are stunning when they change colour so it's a nice little bush but that's it .