Patio Cleaner

Does anybody have a tried and tested home made patio cleaner. I have pressure washed the stones but am left with quite a lot of algae of various colours which will not move even after brushing

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736

MOST CHEMICALS THAT KILL ALGAE KILL MOST OTHER THINGS TOO.

EVEN SALT IS TOXIC TO PLANTS AND ORGANISMS THAT LIVE IN THE UNDERLYING SOIL SUCH AS WORMS.

DO YOU MEAN ALGAE, WHICH LIVE IN ONLY WET CONDITIONS,

OR DO YOU MEAN LICHEN, WHICH LIVE ON DRY STONE TOO?

I FIND THAT, WITH DILIGENCE, A PRESSURE WASHER DOES REMOVE ALGAE. IN ORDER TO REMOVE LICHENS YOU WILL HAVE TO USE TOXIC CHEMICALS AND, IN DOING SO, HARM OTHER LIVING THINGS.

I FIND LICHENS ADD AN ATTRACTIVE PATINA TO WHAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE PLAIN SANDSTONE.

THEY ARE ALSO A SIGN THAT YOU ARE LIVING IN AN AREA WHERE THE AIR IS CLEAN AND UNPOLLUTED, WHICH SHOULD BE A CAUSE FOR HAPPINESS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,895

Heard that on radio 4 yesterday.Gardeners question time.

• ColinAColinA Posts: 211

Hi pansyface

Thanks for the info. Knowing that  bought cleaner would contain chemicals that could harm plants etc is the reason I asked for any homemade remedies

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,535

The thing is, that even home made remedies, if they are going to kill algae, lichens etc, will kill plants and mico-organisms too.  Vinegar is a chemical - acetic acid.  Salt is a chemical - sodium chloride, washing soda is sodium carbonate ... they're the sort of thing that people sometimes recommend as home remedies for all sorts of things but they're still chemicals and what is more they've not been properly tested as to efficacy or possible harm to the environment as garden solutions.

Elbow grease followed by sunshine and dry weather  ... they're the best chemical-free cures for algae I'm afraid. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,432

There's a Spear & Jackson product called Spray and Leave which claims it will remove almost anything from paving and other surfaces.  As you've already used a pressure washer you could probably use it for local treatment of the more difficult areas.

• ColinAColinA Posts: 211

Thanks for all the info

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,325

I usually use either Patio Magic or Algon - find the pressure washer very hard work. They both remove algae but not lichens I find and I haven't found anything yet that will remove lichens. I have both white, black and yellow ones on our pale Bath stone wall and I absolutely hate them. Looks so ugly.