Trimming very tall hedge

I am looking for some advice on how to tackle a tall Beech hedge.

It is currently about 15ft high and I would like to reduce it down to about 9ft.

My garden is on a slope and isn't especially level. so I am wondering how best to reach the top? (A step-ladder isn't high  enough).

Someone has suggested a ladder with a 6ft wooden beam tied to the top horizontally to spread the weight might work.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: 16 February 2018 12:18:28

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525

Contact your local tool hire businesses and tell them what you want to do ... there are lots of solutions available ... 

Here are some ideas

https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/garden-ladders?limit=all 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916

Or get someone in to do the first cut so it is at a more manageable height for you to do in the future?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,269

Hogweed's suggestion could be a good one... it's ever so easy to fall off a ladder cutting a hedge.  I know, I've done it...  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • It's not an option sadly - we have had a few quotes and it is too expensive for us at the moment.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,805

In that case, treat yourselves to a good pruning saw and a short and long handle (see Wolf system at the garden centre) and do it yourselves but starting lower down.  6' should be comfortable and it will regrow and then be maintainable at a height you can reach without risking your neck or legs.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525

So ... hire some equipment and do it safely .......... tying ladders and beams sounds a bit Heath Robinson image ... don't forget you'll be wielding a bladed (and possibly powered) implement ... wobbling around in an unsafe manner at height just mustn't be an option.  Your safety is the most important thing. image

Edited to add:  I posted the above before I saw Obelixx's post ... hers is a very sensible solution.  

Don't forget, hedges regrow ... severed limbs and digits don't! 

Last edited: 16 February 2018 14:30:47

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the advice - I do have a small 9" chainsaw type pruner on a pole - also with a hedge trimming attachment. That's a good idea - I might bring it down to 6' or so.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,325

If it's a long hedge, take it slowly and take care of your neck and shoulders. I know, I've ben there!

• Found some ladders designed especially for trimming hedges: https://www.henchman.co.uk/tripod-ladders-for-hedge-trimming.html

Last edited: 21 February 2018 11:12:16

• i used to have a pole saw with a chainsaw on the end, would work wonders on a hedge like that,

i would take it lower than 9 feet (maybe 6) and let it regrow that way you can cut it using a hedge cutter and not worry about clipping the old stumps inside the hedge