Plant ideas for Handicap Ramp

I am looking for some ideas along the ramp to block it from the road.  The highest point of the handrail is at 6' so I would prefer something I can maintain at the 6-8' range.  I will probably do boxwoods and white hydrangea along the house.  I will put a dogwood on the front corner of house.  I been researching and I see people using laurels, ligustrum, arborvitae, etc. but I am just worried about getting getting to large.  I dont mind trimming 2-3x a year.  Someone local also recommended a robin holly. Thanks for any suggestions you might have

..image

• Forgot to mention I am in zone 7

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 12,252

I take it you're in the USA then.  

Do you want a solid feeling hedge or a group of shrubs to provide interest with varying colour, texture, flowers, berries?  What kind of soil is it?  Clay, loam, sandy, stony, acid, neutral, alkaline?   How much rain do you get and which way does it face and which is the main wind direction?

All of these will affect how well plants grow and thus which will be the most suitable for your growing conditions.

The Vendée, France
  • Yes I am in Alabama. That side of the house faces south. The soil is mostly clay.  I would say a hedge but a variety of plants sounds good as well. Wind wouldn’t not be an issue. 

You'll need to fork in plenty of well rotted garden compost or manure to break up teh clay and improve its texture and thus allow roots to get down and find the nutrients and water they need but then you'll have plenty of choice.   Have a look at these for starters:-

Viburnum plicatum f tomentosum – Clusters of white flowers from spring and thru summer, autumn leaf colour, sometimes red berries that turn black.  Compact.  Grows up to 2m.

Viburnum carlesii – different leaf shape.  Fragrant flowers in spring.

Lonicera standishii “Budapest” – scented flowers in winter and early spring then followed by bronze foliage which turns dark green.  Semi evergreen in milder winters.  Shrub, not climber.

Cornus sanguniea “Winter Beauty”  - deciduous but has colourful stems all winter and colourful foliage in autumn.   Cornus alba sibirica is another with very bright red stems in winter if pruned back every spring and good autumn colour.

Tree peonies – several available with different flower colours from yellow to pink.

Buddleias would attract lots of butterflies and come in a variety of flower colours now.  Need pruning back every spring to control growth.

Look at roses such as Nevada, Bloomfield Abundance, Marguerite Hilling, Vanity, Claire Austin

The Vendée, France
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes the ramp is new once it dries I will stain it. Those are green velvet in front. I’ll have to check out the climbing roses. I dont want any thorns catching people on the ramp. 

• Obelixx says:

You'll need to fork in plenty of well rotted garden compost or manure to break up teh clay and improve its texture and thus allow roots to get down and find the nutrients and water they need but then you'll have plenty of choice.   Have a look at these for starters:-

Viburnum plicatum f tomentosum – Clusters of white flowers from spring and thru summer, autumn leaf colour, sometimes red berries that turn black.  Compact.  Grows up to 2m.

Viburnum carlesii – different leaf shape.  Fragrant flowers in spring.

Lonicera standishii “Budapest” – scented flowers in winter and early spring then followed by bronze foliage which turns dark green.  Semi evergreen in milder winters.  Shrub, not climber.

Cornus sanguniea “Winter Beauty”  - deciduous but has colourful stems all winter and colourful foliage in autumn.   Cornus alba sibirica is another with very bright red stems in winter if pruned back every spring and good autumn colour.

Tree peonies – several available with different flower colours from yellow to pink.

Buddleias would attract lots of butterflies and come in a variety of flower colours now.  Need pruning back every spring to control growth.

Look at roses such as Nevada, Bloomfield Abundance, Marguerite Hilling, Vanity, Claire Austin

See original post

Very useful information and also a good suggestion of flowers. Thanks

The roses I've suggested are shrub, not climbers, and will give repeat flowers and perfume.

Try and mix in some evergreen plants too, maybe a variegated holly (female to get any berries) or photinia Red Robin (fresh new shoots in spring and after clipping are red), or maybe a choisya aka Mexican orange Blossom.

The Vendée, France
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,408

What about planting some bulbs for spring colour?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • MrsGlazeMrsGlaze EssexPosts: 227

How about hydrangeas? There are beautiful varieties to choose from and quite tough shrubs, i think they would suit the property well and no thorns to contend with. I would also consider planting some standards at the higher point of the ramp, again there are a lot of varieties as they will give some height and a lovely contemporary look without too much maintenance. 

Last edited: 15 February 2018 20:03:48