Raspberry variety's

PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,156

I am having a go at some autumn fruiting raspberry's about six plants, I've decided I grow Joan J  but would like another variety. I had a look at polka which is well recommend and new variety Paris is catching my eye.

Anyone grown - All gold - autumn fruiting raspberry ? Does taste good image  are is it a bit of a gimmick ?

Last edited: 13 February 2018 22:29:45

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,284

We’ve got Polka and they are wonderful -great taste, big berries and loads of them over a long period. Birds don’t go for them so we don’t even have to net (unlike the blueberries that get stripped if we forget)

Never tried All gold though.

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,156

Thanks chicky, birds got my blueberries and red / white / black currants image I am not so bothered you snooze you lose image wished they saved me a blueberry though.

Last edited: 13 February 2018 22:39:17

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,284

They’re clever little blighters aren’t they image  I don’t know whether its because the raspberries fruit later - but we have never had a problem with them being thieved.

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......

The wood pigeon's sit on the fence and pinch and sit on the end of the branch,  bend it down so they can comfortably sit on the branch. The black birds live in the currant bush I am sure.  

Is they any difference in flavour / yield between the autumn fruiting and the summer fruiting ?

Last edited: 13 February 2018 22:54:10

• a1154a1154 Posts: 612

All gold are lovely flavour and heavy cropping in my garden, not a gimmick at all.  all berries crop quite well here, i struggle to keep them under control. 

Oh good image, do they send out vigorous suckers all54. 

• a1154a1154 Posts: 612

Oh yes. The all gold are against a fence, in a narrow bed, and I’m supposed to remember to tie new shoots onto the fence. Actually they fall all over the path and come up through it! I probably need some post and wire type solution. They should have more room too, as they are successful. I try different stuff but give it up if it doesn’t go well, or the voles like it too much. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,446

I have polka. They have fruited well from the first year. I gave some suckers to mum last year, and although they were late going in (although dug up and planted the same day), they fruited for her as well. Second and third year, lots of raspberries. They were still fruiting in November.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 3,807

I have All Gold Perki.  Planted approx 4yrs ago, along with Glen Ample (summer fruiting) and a Loganberry.  All Gold is the only surviving plant, so I'd say it's tough as old boots and easy to grow ?.

Grows in a narrow border beside the greenhouse which I have filled by chopping off the suckers from the one original plant. New suckers appear in the flowerbed in front every year so I suppose it must be vigorous, I just dig down and chop them out. 

Gives a good crop of berries despite my neglect. I'm a complete amateur, and only planted the soft fruit bushes for my daughters cake making projects.  I have yet to get the hang of proper pruning image, I simply chop them down and tie them in to bamboo canes for support when they get tall.  

Have no other surviving plants to compare the flavour of All Gold to, but I find the fruits on mine are a good fat size and very sweet and tasty. I like to eat them straight off the bush when I'm pottering down at the end of the garden.

Thanks . think I'll have to dig in some wood to make a border, they only shallow rooted so hopefully it will keep them in one place. Don't want them creeping into next door neighbour garden.