best way to take cuttings from lavender

hi guys  last time i took cuttings they rotted

• Freddies DadFreddies Dad LarbertPosts: 534

Halving an existing plant down the middle is the easist method, you have roots and they grow. They grow well from seed if you have gravel soil.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,236

Cuttings are usually easy - taken in Spring and inserted in light, gritty soil should see them well rooted in a month or 2.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 2,876

Up here in Scotland I would wait until early summer before taking lavender cuttings. You need to take some non flowering shoots about 3 inches long. Strip off most of the lower leaves and insert them into a pot filled with gritty compost. Put somewhere shady for a couple of weeks and they should root. Make sure they don't dry out. 

Lots of YouTube videos will show you how. The magic term is 'semi ripe cuttings'. I think there is a video on this site.  

Last edited: 13 February 2018 21:56:42

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Sandra100Sandra100 Posts: 112

I've had success with some cuttings: pelargoniums, rosemary are just a couple that spring to mind.

However like sambo I've had no joy with lavender at all.  I didn't realise they should be put in a shady spot though, maybe that's where I'm going wrong!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,428

I take semi ripe cuttings with a heel in the summer,  put them around the edge of a terracotta pot in a very gritty compost and leave in a cold frame in light shade until roots appear at the base of the pot - probably the following spring. image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • Sandra100Sandra100 Posts: 112

Thanks!

I'll give it another go in the summer.