Forum home Fruit & veg

how to grow pumpkins

hi  im thinking of trying for the second time to grow pumpkins as failed the first time  any tips please thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

What sort of garden/allotment do you have?  Whereabouts is it ... UK or elsewhere ...  southwest, northeast, etc?   Do you have a greenhouse, coldframe, heated propagator ......... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• We grow pumpkins, squash and courgettes - all the same family.  You need to start them off in a greenhouse/cold frame type of structure.  I would say it is far too early to sow the seed yet - wait until late March or April - the seed packet will give you instructions for sowing them and growing on to maturity.

You will need plenty of space when transplanting the seedlings outside , a metre or so between each plant.  The soil should be rich with well rotted manure or good compost.  The plants will need firming into the soil very well and will need feeding and watering on a regular basis - we normally water twice a week and feed once a week. 

Harvesting is exciting - we often weigh ours, no record breakers here but we do get some quite substantial harvests.

Good luck.

• You can grow them in large plastic tubs to save on them taking up loads of garden space. The plants can be coiled round a bit, or even grown up a structure to reduce the space they take up.

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376

Space....i can testify that if you put a lot of horse manure compost on there, you'll get a lot of growth....you need the space or do as Monty Don and grow vertical.....but use a variety like 'Jack be LIttle' or Munchkin....so having smaller/lighter (and more ornamental) pumpkins.