Looking for anti-slip matting for Decking

Hi all,

A bit of an amateur here so wondering if the more experienced gardeners can help with a problem that I'm not likely to be the first to have encountered.

We got some new decking a year ago, which was great at the time, but now I find that when it rains (so all of the time) it becomes lethal underfoot. It wouldn't be so bad but we do have to go outside daily to pick up dog mess etc.

I have done some googling and found some mats but they all seem to be large, thick, rubber mats with holes in. This seems to be a bit industrial for my liking so I was wondering if grip sheets or tape like this stuff would be more discreet? https://www.firstmats.co.uk/collections/floor-grip-and-safety

Has anyone used something similar or found a better product for slippery decking?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,184

I have seen boardwalks with chicken wire stapled to them. It stops the slipping, but may not be a look you would like.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Yeah chicken wire feels like a bit of an "industrial" solution too, although I'm sure it's very effective!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

Wood rots if it isn't open to the air. Covering it with anything that doesn't allow air circulation will shorten its life

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,246

I've seen chicken wire used on a set of railway sleeper steps cleverly installed to get to a doctor's surgery in Belgium where it rains a lot.  Lethal till the wire was attached.   If the wire is well stretched and well attached it quickly becomes unobtrusive and is effective.

You could always just lay a strip as a kind of path on your most frequent route across the decking.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hello DavidJatt,

On here there are two other great threads about what people have used. I used to use anti slip paint but it wouldn't last. now i have these anti slip deck strips had them a couple of months now and have done the trick with out looking too industrial like the wire method mentioned above.

search on the forum for them other two threads as they have a lot of useful info on. here is where i got my strips from http://www.dinogrip.co.uk/anti-slip-decking-strips