Arrival of Frog Spawn 2018

• Hi All

I'm new to the forum, and live in Sheffield. My pond has been up and running for a year now, & whilst I had a couple of frogs in there over summer/autumn last year I have not noticed them back or indeed any spawn and am gutted. I would have loved to have had frogspawn in my pond this year. There are lots of aquatic plants, marginal plants, & it is easy to get in and out of. I also have lots of underwater activity from water lice etc......so I think the pond is doing well - obviously not the 'Des Res' that my local frogs want 😒 Any advice from seasoned pond owners much appreciated!

thanks

Jo
  • Near Watford , got first clump of frogspawn monday 12th march , 2nd clump of spawn today 13th march. Weather has turned much more spring like the last few days.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,473
    We have frog spawn, all laid at the edge of the pond. Doesn't that signify a wet summer? The pond was frozen solid last week, but the frogs decided to lay this week. I believe we have another cold snap on the way.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • NickG61NickG61 Posts: 18
    Jo - I have the same problem. My pond is two years old & has a healthy insect population. The past week I’ve seen frogs in the pond at night so was eagerly anticipating waking up to spawn one morning! Frustratingly this hasn’t happened & I think it may be because  the frogs are juveniles. Frogs don’t breed until they are 2-3 years old so i will just have to be patient. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,473
    Hi, Jo and Nick. Can I suggest a jamjar full of frogspawn from a local pond, or someone local willing to donate. Anyone near me (junction 25 M1) can have a bucketful.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 541
    First frog spawn in the pond this morning about 2 to 3 weeks earlier than last year, here in the north east.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 596
    My ponds are all still frozen, but there was a heron on one of them yesterday so I suspect the frogs are on the move again! Meant to be back down to -6 tomorrow so no chance of them getting into the ponds any time soon. I have never found spawn in our ponds, but we have millions of small frogs and toads every year so is must be there somewhere!
    I remember every year my mother would get some spawn from our pond and put it in a large icecream tub with a little sprig of oxygenating weed. Then once it had hatched and they had eaten the egg casings we would give them a little bit of liver or other meat on a bent paperclip. A month or so later the tiny frogletts would be put back into the pond.
  • daphnedeandaphnedean Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    I'm new to the forum and live in Hertfordshire.  We've had frogs in our pond, up to 15 some years, since at least 1990.  This year, they haven't arrived and we're just hoping they are held back by the cold snap.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,156
    Four large clumps of frogspawn and counted 19 frogs this morning!!  :p
  • micearguersmicearguers Posts: 203
    Yesterday one big clump of frogspawn arrived, and still some big-bellied ladies around. Just before I had repotted the waterlillies, and the water was still pretty painfully cold. A local friend had frogspawn weeks earlier. I wonder whether the relative greater depth of my pond has made it colder and thus postponed spawning.