High raised planting boxes from scaffold boards

Hi there,

I'm thinking of making some high raised planting boxes from scaffold boards. These would be 3 or 4 scaffold board widths high, reinforced at corners and a mid point by 3inx3in stakes that would also stake them into the ground. The bottom and top would be open. These are higher than most I've seen online (and only a foot and a half wide).

Some questions:

A) will that and a few other pinning together bits be enough to hold back damp earth? 

B) what should I line the inside of these boxes with? I want to stop damp getting to and rotting the wood. Heavy plastic? Or does it need to be breathable?  If so, any recommendations? 

C) any other concerns I should be aware of? 

Any advice appreciated. 

James

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,999

Sounds good to me.   I would make sure the planks are clean and dry before starting to assemble the structure and then brush them with some oil to help preserve them.   It will nourish them and also increase water resistance.  Cheap rapeseed or non virgin olive oil will do.   let it soak in for a day or so and then build.  Do the same for your 3 x 3.

Line the insides with ordinary black plastic which you can buy on rolls and have cut to length in good DIY stores.   Fold over to make it neat and staple to the insides an inch or two below eventual soil level.

The Vendée, France
  • Fire LilyFire Lily Posts: 296

I would mix wood tar and flaxseed oil (50/50). No toxines. Or char the inside until it is black. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,999

I find linseed oil very sticky to work with.  The ones I leave soak in and do not leave a sticky film either.   We had a retaining wall made from railway sleepers in our last garden and that was lined with black plastic to stop it leaching stuff into the soil and also keep it safe from soil moisture.  Still standing - 4' high - 25 years later and growing lovely algae and moss on the weather side..

The Vendée, France