Forum home Plants

Empathy mycorrhizal fungi

Does any one have any experience of using mycorrhizal fungi for planting? 

I am in the process of creating beds and borders in my garden and have bought several plants that have cost me an arm and a leg. I don’t want any of them to fail and was considering using this product. 

I have around 70 plants that will all go in the garden.  How much fungi would I need? I was thinking of getting a 2.5litre tub but it’s so expensive, around £45.

Thank you in advance image

• plot52plot52 Posts: 15

Wilko's mycorrhizal fungi has had great reviews image

http://www.wilko.com/plant-food+fertilisers/wilko-best-rootgrow-mycorrhizal-fungi-360g/invt/0330968

Their largest size is 360g which works out at around £55 for the 2.5kg. You could just buy a couple of Wilko's bags and see how far they go. You may not need as much as you think.

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,626

Don't waste your money, it's totally unnecessary, even if you garden on poor soil.

The only time I use it, is when planting a rose in a space where a rose had been growing previously, as replanting can cause rose sickness, but I'm not entirely convinced that it always works for this either, sometimes it does, other times not.

For general garden planting... you don't need it, would be my advice..

East Anglia, England
  • plot52plot52 Posts: 15

There's clearly quite a bit of difference in views on the use of MF. I noticed it was used by Monty Don on GW when planting a tree and it is recommended in 'Teaming with Microbes'

This is a book which really helps with understanding the soil food web and the basis for organic gardening (just a couple of quid as Kindle version on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teaming-Microbes-Organic-Gardeners-Revised-ebook/dp/B008K8HACU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518179734&sr=1-1&keywords=teaming+with+microbes)

But I know not everyone feels the need, and I can't say I have enough experience with using it yet to give an informed opinion. I guess you just have to try it to see if it works. It certainly won't do any harm, and as you say, if you are investing a lot on money in a load of planting, it might just be worth it as an insurance policy.

Good luck 

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,626

Monty Don shouldn't be encouraging the use of the stuff, in my opinion, outside of rose planting, for which as I said I think it's useful.

Otherwise, just think of all the beautiful gardens planted up and down the country, by amateur and professional gardeners all over the world, all down the ages, did they grab a packet of MF during their planting sessions?  I don't think so...   a bit of compost thrown in is adequate for most plants..

As always, up to the gardener how we spend our money, or not..

East Anglia, England
  • There was another recent question on this. This was my reply then:

"I'm extremely sceptical of commercial 'mycorrhiza' products. They're heavily promoted, including by the RHS as Hostafan1 says, but I haven't seen any proper trials of these products. The manufacturers don't say what fungi are supposed to be in the packets, they don't give any evidence that use of their product increases root colonisation, and they don't give any evidence of growth improvements or other benefits.

The fungi involved are very common in soil, and established plants or transplants that have been growing in the ground will almost certainly be colonised already."

If for some reason you think your soil might be deficient in mycorrhizal fungi (e.g. a newbuild house with poor quality subsoil or clay), you could just add a little bit of topsoil from elsewhere around each plant e.g. from an area with established grass or perennials. Probably unnecessary though.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,855

Until I see peer based, double blind evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to think it's just another bandwagon ( remember "water retaining crystals"? ) to suck money out of gullible people.

But, as is often the case, I might well be wrong.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415

I would doubt if it's beneficial for roses if it's not beneficial for anything else. Roses are just plants. imo it's all a money making scheme for the  garden supplies industry. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you all for your help and saving me making an expensive mistake.

I’ve searched high and low on the internet for any trials of this product. I haven’t found anything concrete that suggests it is beneficial or not apart from this interesting article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/11741412/Are-mycorrhizas-really-helpful-to-new-plant-growth.html

Based on this I shall stay clear of this expensive product and invest in a good fertiliser that I know will benefit my plants. Having said that any ideas which fertiliser is best for planting out from containers? 

Last edited: 09 February 2018 14:45:34

• We seem to have this "debate" approx every couple of months on this site. I will also say the same as I have said before. If you are planting in less than ideal conditions, if you are moving already established plants (as that lady was on the programme this week) then I am sure it does help. My own experience come from two uses. 1)  we had to move a lot of plants into a temporary bed for building work which went on far longer than planned, we used it when we re-planted we had no losses. 2) I have used it when planting fruit on my allotment I get bigger yields & they are more drought tolerant (especially raspberries & strawberries).  If you are doing new plantings of well grown plants into good oil you do not need it. Leaf mould would work just as well but most of us do not have access to enough of it.

AB Still learning

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,855

Iain R says

" I have used it when planting fruit on my allotment I get bigger yields & they are more drought tolerant (especially raspberries & strawberries)."

Did you plant 2 batches, some using fungi and some without in otherwise identical conditions and compare the results?

Devon.