Forum home Fruit & veg

Issues with my Lemon plant?

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so please forgive me if i`ve put it in the wrong section

I have a lemon plant which i picked up from eBay at a young age.... It`s around 70cm tall and currently sat on my window ledge because here in the UK, we are currently going through winter. it is in direct position of sunlight and gets watered at least once a month, basically, everytime the soil looks dry. 

I have noticed quite a few green flies in with the soil too, and in and around the leaves. 

But, the main issue im having is, the amount of leaves falling off and the small "malteaser" sized lemons have turned black and fell off. 

The photos i have attached shows what i mean, at the moment, i currently have no lemons growing on the tree. imageimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,207

HELLO PIKACHU,

1. THE WHOLE STEM THAT THE DISEASED LEMON IS SITTING ON LOOKS VERY DEAD TO ME.

2. THE TREE HAS SOME BRANCHES THAT APPEAR TO CROSS OVER THE CENTRE OF THE PLANT.

3. THE ARE SOME LONG, LEAFLESS, USELESS BRANCHES HEADING SKYWARDS.

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS WEBSITE, GO THROUGH EACH OF THE POINTS IN TURN, AND ACT ACCORDINGLY.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prune-potted-lemon-tree-97313.html

I WOULDN’T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT THE GREENFLY UNLESS THEY ARE ACTIVELY SUCKING THE SAP.

GOOD LUCK.

Last edited: 07 February 2018 16:19:13

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,305

I think that lemon has overripened and should have been picked awhile ago. It is now overripe and going black.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298

Monty says do not bring your citrus indoors, put in in greenhouse/out building/shed, just keep it frost free.  We have 6 different sorts, they are in a greenhouse, watered weekly with rainwater, when they have fruit, different winter and summer feed.  In bud, or the warmer months, sprayed with rain water.When the flowers open Hubby pollinates with a kids paintbrush

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

If the leaves are dropping off, I agree with Nanny Beach, it's likely your spot for the plant is too warm and not cool enough. Watering once a month in very dry and warm conditions may not help either. They need a bit of humidity. Avoid hot and dry spaces for over-wintering. Water using rain water if you can.

The malteser sized lemon fell off because the branch has died back. You can prune these types of shoots and the very tall branches down. You need to be patient with flowers and eventually lemons. Flowers and lemons can take up to a two year cycle, so wait till spring frost has passed and get it outside against a warm sunny wall.

Be mindful that for fruit development, they really need temperatures to not dip below 15 degrees in the night time for at least 6 months of the year, and very warm weather in the day time, which is very hard in the UK, so the reason lemons are not always plentiful. 

Soil wise, just scrape away your top layer in the late spring time and add a new layer of compost. Try to do this once a year. Because they are longterm plants, when you do come to re-pot, use John Innes No2 mixed with grit.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298

You got it covered Borderline, they will loose their leaves at 10d, in the summer they dont like to be in direct mid day sun, going ahead a bit.  I have half a dozen so usually a supply of lemons/calamondines for cakes etc.  One looked very tatty was plonked outside for throwing, Hubby pruned it hard, suddenly new leaves and growth.