Forum home Problem solving

HELP CHOOSING AN EATING APPLE TREE

Help Choosing Eating Apple Tree

I have a south facing cottage garden which gets plenty of sun and is protected from strong winds.  An old apple tree has just blown down in the garden and I want to replace it but am getting a bit confused with all the chooses.  I also have an old apple tree standing (quite a sharp taste) and a crab apple tree.

I am looking for is an Old Fashioned Eating Apple Tree and was thinking of something like the Worcester Pearmain, but I don’t think it grows very tall. 

Height (mature):      10 – 15 metres high (30ft – 50ft)

Time to Maturity:      Dont Mind

Taste:                       Sweet

Blossom:                  Late as possible and Pretty

Harvest Time:          Dont Mind

Croping:                   Dont Mind

Use Keeping:           Dont Mind

Attracts Wildlife:       Yes

Any advice on this topic most gratefully received.

Sarah

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,287

Apple trees are grafted. So a single apple tree comprises 2 parts.

1. the rootstock - which will determine the height of the tree

2. The variety e.g. Worcester Pearmain

Some info here - just scroll down to rootstock and there's a description of the options generally available

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/guides/apple-trees.php

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Wow that the article is so interesting and written in layman's terms.  I always wondered with the rootstock M meant.  I am really looking for anything in from M26 to M106 range.  

I agree PF

I've bought from Chris Bowers but I wouldn't again

I had excellent trees from Orange  Pippin Trees last year. I was very impressed by the size and quality. I had quite a few questions about pollination varieties for pear trees and I got answers within a couple of hours by email

Billericay - Essex

• Orange pipping trees supply other nurseries trees, they use identical suppliers to Dobbies and people like j Parker’s and T&M  but witthout the 10% discount good for when the  original supplier runs out of stock and an amazing collection of stock  but I’ve always preferred going straight to source, for your apple tree see: http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/m/  

Had a lovely blackberry Waldo from blackmoor just a few weeks ago. Very good plant. I'd but from them again.

Billericay - Essex

• THANK YOU EVERYONE.  Just to let you know that in the end I opted for Apple tree: Sunset  12L pot MM106 rootstock 2-year bush-trained.  Bought from Pippin Fruit Trees.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,857
    Enjoy!   :)  Let us know how it gets on  :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,402
    We have a Sunset tree - it is the most prolific of our four by far  :D