Forum home Problem solving

HELP CHOOSING AN EATING APPLE TREE

Help Choosing Eating Apple Tree

I have a south facing cottage garden which gets plenty of sun and is protected from strong winds.  An old apple tree has just blown down in the garden and I want to replace it but am getting a bit confused with all the chooses.  I also have an old apple tree standing (quite a sharp taste) and a crab apple tree.

I am looking for is an Old Fashioned Eating Apple Tree and was thinking of something like the Worcester Pearmain, but I don’t think it grows very tall. 

Height (mature):      10 – 15 metres high (30ft – 50ft)

Time to Maturity:      Dont Mind

Taste:                       Sweet

Blossom:                  Late as possible and Pretty

Harvest Time:          Dont Mind

Croping:                   Dont Mind

Use Keeping:           Dont Mind

Attracts Wildlife:       Yes

Any advice on this topic most gratefully received.

Sarah

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,852

Apple trees are grafted. So a single apple tree comprises 2 parts.

1. the rootstock - which will determine the height of the tree

2. The variety e.g. Worcester Pearmain

Some info here - just scroll down to rootstock and there's a description of the options generally available

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/guides/apple-trees.php

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Wow that the article is so interesting and written in layman's terms.  I always wondered with the rootstock M meant.  I am really looking for anything in from M26 to M106 range.  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177

ORANGE PIPPIN IS A RELIABLE SUPPLIER AND I HAVE BOUGHT SEVERAL APPLE TREES FROM THEM IN THE PAST.

THE VARIETY “CHRISTMAS PIPPIN” IS NOT AN OLD VARIETY BUT IT HAS THE TRADITIONAL TASTE OF A COX WHILE ENJOYING A MODERN APPLE’S DISEASE RESITANCE AND VIGOUR. IT IS, AS ITS NAME SUGGESTS, A LATE VARIETY, BUT BY NO MEANS AS LATE AS CHRISTMAS!

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apple-trees/christmas-pippin

MOST APPLES NEED A POLLINATOR TO ENSURE A GOOD CROP, SO YOU WOULD DO WELL TO BUY ANOTHER VARIETY FROM THE SAME POLLINATION GROUP (I.E. THEY FLOWER AT THE SAME TIME).  IF YOU WERE TO CHOOSE SOMETHING LIKE ”DISCOVERY”, WHICH IS AN EARLY VARIETY, YOU WOULD HAVE APPLES FROM EARLY IN THE SEASON UNTIL THE CHRISTMAS PIPPIN CAME ALONG LATE IN THE SEASON.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I agree PF

I've bought from Chris Bowers but I wouldn't again

I had excellent trees from Orange  Pippin Trees last year. I was very impressed by the size and quality. I had quite a few questions about pollination varieties for pear trees and I got answers within a couple of hours by email

• Orange pipping trees supply other nurseries trees, they use identical suppliers to Dobbies and people like j Parker’s and T&M  but witthout the 10% discount good for when the  original supplier runs out of stock and an amazing collection of stock  but I’ve always preferred going straight to source, for your apple tree see: http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/m/  

Had a lovely blackberry Waldo from blackmoor just a few weeks ago. Very good plant. I'd but from them again.

• THANK YOU EVERYONE.  Just to let you know that in the end I opted for Apple tree: Sunset  12L pot MM106 rootstock 2-year bush-trained.  Bought from Pippin Fruit Trees.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Enjoy!   :)  Let us know how it gets on  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,293
    We have a Sunset tree - it is the most prolific of our four by far  :D