Forum home Problem solving

Help with Identification Please

Hello. Can anyone tell me what these are please? I believe it is two (or more) trees planted closely together. I believe one to be a magnolia of some sort. I don't know what the other is but I believe I am finding branches of it popping up in various places nearby. 

This is in a very overgrown area of my new garden and I'm still trying to work my way through it all. It's a bit of a mess at the moment, so not easy to photograph. Will I need to attempt to separate these trees at some point or are they alright to grow so closely like this? Thank you for your help!!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,394

Bit hard to say without any leaves and flowers. I have a Leonard Messel Magnolia which looks like the one with the lighter bark. But it could be another variety. The other tree with the darker bark probably wasn't planted there in the first place, much too close. Don't know what it is.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • image Thank you! A Leonard Messel Magnolia would be beautiful! I was going to try to sort this area out this week, but perhaps you're right and I should wait until the flowers and leaves come on to better work out what these are first. I suspect this area hasn't been touched in decades and that other tree has seeded itself at some point. I think it's 'spreading' though as I keep finding stems coming up from the ground and they all look similar to this one. It actually looks very similar to what someone else said was a hazel in another area of my garden, so I wonder if that is what this is? 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,445

It's urgent to wait.image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • I think you're right. I'll wait until they flower and leaf. Loads of other jobs to do in the garden, so I'll move this one further down the list for now! image