Forum home Plants

Best clematis for pots?

BA283BA283 Posts: 21

Hello

I just joined the site today so this is my first post. Hopefully with many more to come!

Could anyone share their thoughts on what they think is the best clematis to grow in a pot?

I am in London in a flat with a south facing balcony so sadly haven't got a garden to play with. 

I was thinking of getting Clematis armandii after doing some research. Good choice for this? Ideally I would love for it to grow and cascade over the balcony a bit.

Thanks

• Welcome BA283! You can have lots of fun with a balcony. Your main concern will be sorting out adequate watering since in a south facing site without lots of earth (in pots) your plants will suffer a lot from drought. So it would be worth investing in a watering system from early on. Also check that the total number of your pots doesn't put too much strain on the balcony... gardening becomes addictive :)

In your place I wouldn't be going for Clematis armandii. It is a lovely plant but it's essentially a very big climber. Some plants will cope with being, effectively, turned into bonsai plants by pot culture--Wisteria is one. But for a potted Clematis I'd be looking at Raymond Evison's range of 'Patio Clematis' which come in all colours, or else one of the newer diversifolia sorts which are herbaceous--they need support to go upwards. I would think that your conditions would potentially be a bit hot and dry for even these, as well as for the shorter-growing large-flowered hybrids. Certainly, you'll find you need to put down something to protect the roots from drying out. The traditional thing is to put slates around the base, although these harbour slugs and snails that can eat the shoots.

You could well be successful with a decent sized (deepish) pot and one of the spring-flowering cartmannii forms. 'Avalanche' is absolutely amazing and it needs a bit of protection so your conditions would be perfect. Another group that you could do in the microclimate you have is likely to be the C. sieboldii forms.

Here's a link to a couple of companies:

https://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk

Even with a big pot I'd recommend going for a modestly-sized clematis. You can search by size on their websites. You'd need to be watering and feeding a lot because naturally clematis get their roots deep down among rocks and climb up.

• Any of the Viticella Group, Viorna Group, Texensis Group, Integrifolia Group, are perfect for large pots, I would not recommend the clematis armandii.

• Welcome BA 283 image

I've seen C. armandii go right to the top of a tall fir tree ....... not a plant for a balcony!

Any that Richard recommends will be fine ... (he won't say so on here but he is one of the UK's foremost clematis growers and knows more about them than most people have had hot dinners ) image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,315

I've had this clematis rebecca growing in a pot for about 6 years now-

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • That is stunning!!  

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,315

Thanks TGG - I can't say that I lavish care on it. It's under planted with a mass of Tete-a-tete daffs. I prune it back to 10-12" mid feb and top dress with 2-3" manure in autumn, water well in dry periods and that's it.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Absolutely beautiful, very useful to know about the manure. I'll try that on mine (which however are garden grown). I'm just now trying some new sorts of Clematis diversifolia and am hoping they're not slugged to death... will post pictures if they do well.

• Cambridgerose12 says:

Absolutely beautiful, very useful to know about the manure. I'll try that on mine (which however are garden grown). I'm just now trying some new sorts of Clematis diversifolia and am hoping they're not slugged to death... will post pictures if they do well.

See original post

Which have you got, please ?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,853

Oh good, I planted Rebecca in a pot last year.

I have a clematis viticella, Betty Corning, in a pot. Not such big flowers but she smells divine and flowers for a longish time in the summer. Pruning is easy as she's group 3 so I just cut her down in March and all the new growth and flowers are made in the year.

Clematis are thirsty and hungry, so it will need watering and feeding, and they prefer their roots in the shade. 

Last edited: 04 February 2018 12:26:37

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Richard Hodson says:
    Cambridgerose12 says:

Absolutely beautiful, very useful to know about the manure. I'll try that on mine (which however are garden grown). I'm just now trying some new sorts of Clematis diversifolia and am hoping they're not slugged to death... will post pictures if they do well.

See original post

Which have you got, please ?

See original post

I've got 'Benedikt' and one from the Netherlands called 'Queen of Holland'.