The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Aloe Vera Indoor Growing

Hi can someone tell me if i can start growing an aloe Vera plant indoors during Februarys cold weather. I would be keeping it potted on a window ledge in direct sunlight. I heard its evergreen so could it grow from a seed and if so in what kind of soil?

Would it be able to start from a seed now? 

If i kept it on a window ledge in direct sunlight would it grow well or should it be somewhere else?

I have heard so many benefits of having this plant in your house and i would be delighted if i could grow one.

Thanks in advance image

Last edited: 03 February 2018 23:19:48

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,932

The usual way to grow them is to get an offset from a friend. image

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,098
    Gosh!!!!
    Well I never!!!
    Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,289
    Hmm. To flag or not to flag? I mean, it IS a gardening question.....
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,098
    oh please don't @raisingirl, I'd love to see how this one pans out.
    Devon.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 219
    Not sure I understand the flag reference but I do know you cannot kill an aloe Vera, so assuming it grows ok from seed then you will have a plant for life. In fact you will have multiple plants as you will have to divide them every few years when they get too big for the pot.
    You can ignore them for months and they will keep growing, and then when you get chicken pox, sun burn or any other (mild) burn you just snap off a leaf and dab it on the affected area, works a treat!
    They flower every so often, producing a long stalk with a pale yellow flower.
    I have two in the basement by a tiny window, put them there 2.5 years ago and have watered them once myself and they got drenched for several hours when we got flooded last year, but apart from that they have been woefully ignored. They are somehow surviving though.
    A friend had a cutting and eventually threw the plant on the compost heap admit outgrew the pot and his patience. It flowered not long after that!
    Good luck!
    Not sure I understand the flag reference 
    There was a rather odd recent post - hence the date jump you probably hadn't noticed - but it's been moderated out
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 915
    Some lad wanted to know how to grow hemp but he posted it in the wrong place. It's a shame as I was hoping to see how he progressed in making his own cordage or clothing. I recently saw some very high quality fabric made from nettles so maybe he's decided to go down that route instead. o:)
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 350
    This has actually made me interested in growing an aloe vera as the juice is very good for the digestion and other uses for skin etc.

I dont have any friends with one for an offshoot though. GC might have a plant... 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,932
    @Bijdezee ; if you can wait until we get back from our holiday I can pop an offset in the post to you ... my big one needs re-potting as it's getting too big for the windowsill  :o

Please remind me in early June ... send me a PM .... and I'll be happy to post one ... it should be ok for a few days in the post if I pack it carefully  :)
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.”