Most resilient plant in the garden

I've been amazed by the clumps of Calendula ( Pot Marigold) dotted about my garden. I think I've grown these in every garden I've had.

They've continued to flower right thru the year - some a little bit sparse but unless we have a heavy snow fall in the next few weeks, there will be those beautiful orange jobs to cheer up the dull winter days.

Brave little soulsimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,054

Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve' never stops for winter, never takes a break. Dies from exhaustion eventually.

and Erodium pelagonifolium, always there, whatever the season

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,303

It has to be Erigeron Karvinskianus. Flowering for near enough 11 months of the year.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,429

Agree with nutcutlet ; had E.'Bowles Mauve' flowering for nearly 22 months(!) consecutively , then gave up the ghost .

In terms of resilience I can't help but admire my old Dicksonia at the end of my garden ; partially protected by a large Pinus nigra .

Never gets fleeced or any protection , it seems to have acclimatised over the approximately 15-years I've grown it .

Luscious fronds 5 to 6 feet from tip to tip from Spring onwards ; soaked every day and rewards accordingly .

• I have a patch of border, heavy clay, always wet.  Assorted Hebe, that I bought for £1 from the Dobbie “rescue me”  section after last year’s sudden late frost nearly killed them, are absolutely thriving in it. 

It's always satisfying to rescue and re-vitalise dying plants on the 'sales-bench' from the garden centre ; although with half-decent staff , theoretically there shouldn't be any !

I've salvaged numerous Phlox , Penstemons , assorted ferns , Delphiniums + others , all of which are now happily thriving in the garden .

Found out that Wyevale have been bought out by Tesco ; probably explains the recent blandness of them now.

Probably old news , but only discovered that last Thursday ; not that it's particularly interesting image.

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 1,710

geum Totally Tangerine for me. It flowers for 10 or 11 months of the year even in my cold, windswept clay garden

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 683

Buttercups and daisies in the grass, mind your own business in the borders, moss on the drive, dandelions everywhere.  Mint and Welsh poppies. Buddleia.  Come to think of it, "resilient" describes most of the plants in my garden.  With me in charge, they have to be.

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,293

I'm nominating Bowles Mauve as well, flowers continuously and bees and butterflies love them So easy to grow cutting from. I ripped out a large old plant last year but missed it, luckily I had one grown in a pot so have replanted it and it's doing really well.

Honesty plants are tough too, grows in all sorts of conditions- I have a strong plant growing out of the side of my compost bin

• I moved my Totally Tangerine and although it's still alive it's not flowering any more :(

I have one very tough rose, 'Susan Williams-Ellis' which flowers into December. I also have an amazing new Ipheion 'Tessa' with pink flowers that starts flowering in October and reaches its full flush in April before taking a nap. 

I bought a peony where the nurseryman said it was an 'heirloom' plant and I didn't then know this was nursery code for 'you can't get rid of it'; gave it away because of the size, but it's back...actually am quite glad because it's very lovely...

• B3B3 Posts: 4,993

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,106

Horsetail. It survived the dinosaurs. It survives glyphosate. Totally undestructible.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,917

imageimage fidget! Along with ground elder and bindweed!

I agree with Borderline - Erigeron Karvinskianus, and it seeds itself.

• UpNorthUpNorth Posts: 66

Re Boles Mauve conversation.....image

Inspired by RHS Harlow Carr last summer...and want to replicate. 

It has 'Isotoma Starsine blue' in front of the Bowles Mauve.  

...... if i was planning to plant up a pair of large containers...... how many of these would I plant per container?   ie, is it likely the containers pictured had several young plants planted to flower?  

Last edited: 05 February 2018 15:44:16