I have an early flowering type that has been in the ground for 2 years, grows to almost prehistoric proportions all year but as soon as it comes to flowering times, they end up like the photo.

I'm growing them for any early emerging bees, but no flowers for the last 2 years. I have another type in another part of the garden that does get nibbled but not as much.

Dilemia replant somwhere else and wait another year? I don't have much space and they grow big in the Summer.

Thanks for any thoughts

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,882

That looks like mollusc damage ....... image

They seem to leave mine alone ... fingers crossed ........ I shall have to go out and check now I've seen yours ...... 

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 192

Wow hollie hock that looks bad !!  I've never had anything worry mine, not even slugs.We do have a couple of pairs of Blackbirds in the garden so that could be the answer.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,064

is that my P. rubra? 

Poor little thing, I would have thought them a bit rough for mollusc grub. have they rotted with too much rain?

• Hazel -1Hazel -1 Posts: 4,592

I would cut all those stems right off, clear away the dead rubbish , loosen the soil around the plant,mand perhaps put something over it until it starts growing again and to protect it. A plastic cloche or bell would be ideal. Let's light in but keeps other things out, including inclement weather. 

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,294

Thank you all. Other people have said the same thing about pulmonarias being not that tasty to slugs and snails but it doesn't seem to be the case here .Yes that is what is left of it nutimage, it looked like this a year ago too. I have wondered if something else was getting it as it's pretty devasting. The foxgloves next to it have lots of intact circles cut out of the leaves. I don't really mind what a plant looks like as long it's flowers.

It's unlikely it would have rotted as it's planted under a massive ever green pine/fir tree. Think it will have to be moved at least to another spot, given some tlc. It recovered from this state on it's own last year and was a really big healthy plant. If it happens again in it's new spot, it's not meant to be.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 361

Mine looks a bit like that as well this time of year and I did wonder if it's some kind of mould/fungus. It does flower when it picks up though, usually when some warmer, dryer weather arrives - as if.  Does yours get any sunshine at all under the fir tree?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,064

Some of mine look rough now but this one, never. This is it on New Year's Day, not much flower but plenty of leaf

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,294

In the Summer it get a bit of sun, dappled light mainly but come to think of it Lizzie it's pretty dark down there. Nut it looks like this minus the flowers,until the Winter and as soon as the flower stems start developing it's all over. I haven't moved it before as it looks so healthy in the Summer.