Blue Tits

I have an RSPB bird box which I have just cleaned out from last years family and the new Blue tits are just coming to check it out for Aprils new chicks

? Can I place another bb in my garden or are BTs territorial 

Any experiences of multiple boxes in a medium sized garden would be appreciated friends

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,771

I don't have bird boxes but blue tits and house sparrows all nest in the house walls and we have multiple nests quite close together, so I'd have thought with a bit of separation, you could get several nesting in your garden. From reading the RSPB website I think they can be territorial in so much as they'll fight over whose box it is, but I've not seen them chasing one another out of the garden the way robins do

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,523

Why not place a tit box with a larger hole suitable for Gt Tits in the garden ...different species may not be as territorial against each other?  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307

Thanks Dove

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,192

I have 4 nest boxes with varying hole sizes - for blue and great tits, one open fronted box suitable for robins (who use it regularly), a sparrow terrace with 3 adjoining boxes and RSPB 'fake' house martin nests - all in a very small garden. I haven't noticed any aggro between species but I have sited the robin box away from the others.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable