Forum home Plants

Advice on Adenium

Hey there!

I was given this spindly lady today. Any advice on how to increase leaves and ramifications? image

And, should I be worried about this gash/wound?

• Bump!

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,214

Bump? image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016

"Bump" to bring it back to the top of the page PapiJo.

Sorry - no idea about adenium.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippa smith2 says:

I used to have one of these beautiful plants years ago.  As far as I can recall, you would treat it as you would a succulent.  Ensure your compost is suitable and you can keep it warm and in good light.As with all these non native plants, you need to emulate the conditions they grow in naturally as far as possible.

Not terribly helpful I'm afraid and I am not sure how long I managed to keep my own specimen for but hope you do better with yoursimage

See original post

That should be easy enough actually. I'm in tropics so it should get plenty warmth and direct sun all year round just by staying outside.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,145

Hello again Durrendal !

Your Adenium obesum is admittedly a bit spindly ; give plenty of light (you shouldn't be short of thatimage) ; I think the succulent stem should soon start to widen . The nasty looking scar should callous over as it grows .

One minor word of caution , the sap is very toxic and can irritate ; a relative of Nerium oleander .

• Paul B3 says:

Hello again Durrendal !

Your Adenium obesum is admittedly a bit spindly ; give plenty of light (you shouldn't be short of thatimage) ; I think the succulent stem should soon start to widen . The nasty looking scar should callous over as it grows .

One minor word of caution , the sap is very toxic and can irritate ; a relative of Nerium oleander .

See original post

Hello to you too, mate!

When you mean light, you mean direct sun or lots of indirect?

Any techniques of fattening dat Caudex?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,145

We used to grow Adeniums years ago (under glass in Northern UK) ; full sunlight and plenty of water during warm weather . 20 to 40Centigrade won't bother it . They get baked in S.Africa where they originate .

Where you reside you'll probably have it flowering for most of the year ! Give it good drainage if in a pot or plant out if possible in a sunny position .

Incidentally , which area of India are you in ? I possess a world weather guide , and am interested in comparing different climates and comparing what we can all grow .

• Paul B3 says:

We used to grow Adeniums years ago (under glass in Northern UK) ; full sunlight and plenty of water during warm weather . 20 to 40Centigrade won't bother it . They get baked in S.Africa where they originate .

Where you reside you'll probably have it flowering for most of the year ! Give it good drainage if in a pot or plant out if possible in a sunny position .

Incidentally , which area of India are you in ? I possess a world weather guide , and am interested in comparing different climates and comparing what we can all grow .

See original post

I'm in Calcutta. Oh, I'll be interested if you can tell me what kinda things I can grow in my place!