Forum home Fruit & veg

What should I do with blueberry plants?

Hi Everyone,

Got a couple of blueberry plants that are perhaps 2ft tall and in approximately 2 litre pots. 

Could anyone give me any advice on what I should do with them ? 

I intend on planting them in pots so that I can try and make sure the soil has the right ph. 

But i'm not sure what to do at the moment, right now they are in a cold green house in the 2 litre pots i bought them in. should I plant them in the final pots right now ? Is it ok to keep it outside at the moment ? Is a cold green house ok ? I would assume they are dormant at the moment but could hotter temps in the greenhouse bring the plants out of dormancy and then make them vulnerable to cold snaps ?

I would appreciate any general advice.

Thank you

Jamie

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861

I'm in a similar position Jamie.

I bought 3 blueberry plants in 2-litre pots a couple of months ago from Trehane Nurseries.
    The instructions that came with them suggest leaving them outside over winter then potting up into 3 or 5 litre pots (ericaceous compost) when growth begins in the spring and water only with rain water.

I would think that the warmth in the g/house will bring them out of dormancy a bit early. It's 5c outside atm, but 12c in my unheated g/h

AFAIK they're completely hardy and mine have remained in a sheltered spot on the patio over winter

Last edited: 01 February 2018 12:41:15

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks pete thats great, I think i will take them out of the green house and into the elements. There wasn't any instructions with mine so I appreciate the heads up there.

thank you

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861

Good luck Jamie

Some info here (if you can read it!)

https://www.trehanenursery.co.uk/kb_results.asp?ID=12

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks again pete, hopefully we both have some blueberries come summer!

Jamie