Forum home Plants

clematis choice

hello

please be patient with me as i'm not very good with technology, i am a retired arborist and just started to enjoy my garden, i have recently heavily pruned a cherry tree and would like to grow clematis up the trunk into the branches could anyone give me some advice on what would be the best clematis for the job, my mothers favourite one was jackmanii so i would like to companion plant with that any help would be most appreciated, i live in North Yorkshire about 600ft above sea level if that would help,

many thanks

Russ

Last edited: 01 February 2018 12:07:13

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,019

The first thing you need to know is that cleamtis are hungry, thirsty plants so planting close to the trunk of your cherry is not a good idea as it will be difficult to make an adequate planting hole an dthere will be competition for nutrients.  The RHS offers this advice on clematis in trees - 

Grow clematis through, or over, trees and shrubs to extend their seasonal interest. Choose the clematis carefully, as vigorous types can be smothering. Avoid using clematis to cover dead trees or tree stumps, for although these may provide a useful support they may soon become hosts to certain diseases, in particular honey fungus. Plant the clematis on the windward side of the tree so that as its stems extend they are blown onto the tree where they can obtain a hold. Position it at least 1.8m (6ft) away from the tree trunk to reduce competition with the tree for space, water, and nutrients. Use a bamboo cane or wire to aid the clematis reach the tree trunk

The other thing to bear in mind is that Jackmanii is a group 3 for pruning and will grow to 3 to 4 metres high so pick a contrasting playmate in the same pruning group but maybe a different flower form such as Little Nell, Betty Corning, Princess Kate.   You can look them up on this site - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=3815

Plant your new clematis several inches deeper than they are in their pot as this encourages better rooting and more shoots above ground.  Give them good soil, a good drink and a good mulch and feed every year with clematis feed at pruning time in March.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • thank you kindly for your advice i shall research and carefully choose the plant i need, i will ensure that when i plant my  clematis they are far enough away so i can train them towards the cherry making sure they have plenty of food and water, i'm looking forward to see the results

many thanks again

Russ

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,019

Good luck.  Let us know which you choose and how they get on.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw