Gardening tool re-design

Hi, I'm a product design student in London. I have been given the task of designing/re-designing a gardening tool. It would be very helpful if anyone could let me know what gardening tools you don't like to use, and why. Or maybe there is a product you would like, that doesn't exist. Any feedback will be very useful.

Thank you very much!,

Rob

• Rob,

I think lecturers ought to be discouraged from setting these tasks unless they're prepared to accept that if your research comes up with an 'it's all been done' answer (which always happens on this site), then that's the end of it - A++.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,090

A product you would like that doesn't exist... Here you go Rob, this request was posted on the forum today...

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/tools-and-techniques/an-about-10-litre-watering-can-with-a-folding-handle/1009836.html

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,507

I don't use what I don't like.  Simples.

I do like the Wolf tool system with interchangeable heads and handle lengths - practical, flexible, easy to store and clean.  I do like a long handled "ladies" stainless steel spade and fork - easy to use, clean well and work in all soils.

I don't like gadgets for gadgets' sake and I get very cross with tools that bend under a little bit of strain and also get frustrated with hand tools with subtle handles.  Bright colours are so much easier to find in a border or a pile of weeds.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • My guess is that the market for a folding handle watering can would be very small.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,540

My " bug bear" is that spades, forks and even rakes and hoes all seem to be aimed at people who are between about 5ft and 5ft 6 inches tall. 

I'm 6ft and I find I have to stoop with almost all garden tools. 

Tools with longer handles exist but , for reasons I've never been able to fathom, are significantly more expensive than " normal " lengths.

Devon.