Greenhouse recommendation

Hello

I'm looking for Greenhouse recommendations.

Heather 

• Sorry I can't offer much advice myself but I am looking for advice in this area as well so maybe if there's two of us werew more likely to get some help? image

Do you know what kind of greenhouse you want? I would like one which has a brick structure at its base I think but am looking for recommendations of suppliers who offer the best value for something like this, even if I have to do some of the construction myself..

Last edited: 11 February 2018 09:26:34

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,415

At least an indication of the size you are looking for and budget might be helpful.

Last edited: 11 February 2018 09:45:23

• Good point, thank you.

I'd be looking at about 10ft long by (insert standard withw) and spending up to £5k probably.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604

I bought a 8 x10 Rhino Premium 18 months ago.

I'm really pleased with it. Strong sturdy and very attractive - I paid just over £3k and the installation cost was £300

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • That looks good, love the look of the garden by the way.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604

Thanks Alan - it's my veg/wildlife area of the garden - just got to get the rest of it up to scratch!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • What are the white flowers in the foreground?

• Alan3003 says:

What are the white flowers in the foreground?

See original post

Looks like Nicotiana sylvestris.

• Heather and Alan: there are lots of things to take into account and some of it depends on personal choice and some on what you need the greenhouse for, like coloured finishes or whether you want greenhouse beds or staging.

Some companies include things that others count as 'extras', even though the greenhouse is of little use without them, like staging and ventilation, so you have to read the detail carefully.

Safety glass is often an extra, but is definitely worth having  for peace of mind.

Some have bases included, others supply them as extras, or you can build your own if you wish.

Most come with some ventilation, but often more would be better. If it helps:

My first greenhouse was 13' x 7', an Alton cedar lean-to and I loved it. It was warmer and so easy to put up bubble wrap in the winter, you only needed drawing pins. It had its own concrete base and cedar staging. It lasted over 25 years and would have gone longer if the support batten hadn't rotted.

My new one (5years old) is an aluminium 12' x 8'  Hercules lean-to, bought from the 'Greenhouse People' It has a metal base and safety glass as standard and you could configure it to your own wishes. I had double doors in the middle of the long side and staging at each end, and though only fractionally bigger, it feels much more spacious. I also added louvres at the ends and automatic vent openers which are invaluable. The Greenhouse People had a list of recommended installers and the greenhouse cost just over £1000 if my memory serves correctly, I think installation was about £300. I laid a flag base myself.

The metal does feel colder and it is tricky to put up the bubblewrap, but it doesn't need the same maintenance, and overall I am very happy with it. We get a lot of strong winds - 1200' up in the Pennines and it is on the west end of the house - and it has stood up to them well so far.

The only real advice is not to be tempted by very cheap ones as the frames are often very thin and inadequate, and to get glass rather than polycarbonate as it is less likely to get blown out. Buy the best and biggest you can afford - they have a habit of filling up very fastimage

• Thank you - sage advice and yes I agree with the sentiments on the wood although may compromise for the practicality of something a little more durable and wind-resistant; being at the foot of the Pennines we too get a good breeze.

I'll give the greenhouse people a look in and see what I can see. I do like your idea of the entrance being in the middle of the long side as well.

Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on the advice.