Cheery tree pruning question

We have just moved into out new home, and it has 4 cherry trees in the garden. I think they must only be about 5 years old, but some of the branches have crossed and have been rubbing together, damaging both branches near their base. They have been left like this for  couple of years, so I am going to prune and tidy the shape.

Should I cut off both damaged branches, leaving huge gaps in the canopy or just take one away and leave the remaining wound to heal?

Thanks

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915

i would wait till they are in leaf, if you cut them at this time of year you can get a fungal infection called silver leaf that can kill the trees.

when you prune take the most damaged branch and leave the other, it will heal over just fine

• andyferrisandyferris Posts: 10

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I know it has been a while since you posted but I thought I would post an update. It turns out the tree is not a cherry at all, but some kind of maple.

Anyway. I cut away one damaged branch, and some others that were choking the middle, and all is well. The wound has healed and the tree is growing well

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,471
    Thanks for the update @andyferris ... it's great to know how things turn out  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh