Forum home Fruit & veg

What to try this year?

Hi all,

So last year we built a raised bed and thought we'd give mixed peppers a go. Unfortunately it was a pretty rainy season and we maybe got 1-2 peppers out of around 16 plants, with the rest of the crop either not making it to a sizeable enough growth for eating or just rotting/being eaten through.

Last year we also had fine beans which we'll probably do again this year and a bumper year for tomatoes which I think I'll do another smaller crop of this year.

As I'm going to be extending the raised bed by another 150cm X 90cm area (already 180cm X 90cm) - both around 2ft deep - I was thinking of doing strawberries and some root vegetables (maybe carrots or small potatoes?).

Any thoughts or suggestions about this please?

Cheers,

Andrew

• Potatoes generally do not behave as you want them to behave.  Carrots would be fine though.

It sounds like you and I have a similar size patch in our back gardens, all my big stuff like onions and potatoes are going in the allotment instead.

Right now I have garlic and shallots in the garden bed for a early harvest.  Lazy I know but I scored these gromats on sale which are  lines of radish, spring onions, beetroot and radish on a paper mat. They are 2m x45cm and you simply cover with compost and go.  The trick is to cut them and plant at two week intervals.  I also plan to grow peas, cauliflower, and have a go at gherkin.  

• If you have any other gardeners around it would be worth asking if the carrot fly is bad round your way. If so protect with a fleece barrier 60cm tall. 

If you're growing your own it should be about the things you really like to eat and things that are expensive in the shops. Not much point in growing main crop potatoes but new potatoes maybe. Personally I like sweet corn. Ticks boxes on taste and cost. Other things that I go for include beetroot, broad beans and runner beans. Why not get a catalogue and pick some unusual stuff like cucamelon or try some heritage varieties you can't get in the shops. Consider buying in plug plants for a quick start 

• Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,464
    Shoxt3r says:

Hi all,

So last year we built a raised bed and thought we'd give mixed peppers a go. Unfortunately it was a pretty rainy season and we maybe got 1-2 peppers out of around 16 plants, with the rest of the crop either not making it to a sizeable enough growth for eating or just rotting/being eaten through.

Last year we also had fine beans which we'll probably do again this year and a bumper year for tomatoes which I think I'll do another smaller crop of this year.

As I'm going to be extending the raised bed by another 150cm X 90cm area (already 180cm X 90cm) - both around 2ft deep - I was thinking of doing strawberries and some root vegetables (maybe carrots or small potatoes?).

Any thoughts or suggestions about this please?

Cheers,

Andrew

See original post

Hi Shoxt3r

I wouldn't grow peppers or chillies outdoors. They're more a greenhouse crop. Potatoes do need a lot of space. Carrots will be alright and beans. It's a bit like trial and error with gardening,see what does best.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

This year I'm going to have a " cuttings garden" in the allotment. I kinda hate cutting flowers from the garden to take indoors, so a dedicated area seems sensible.

Devon.
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,464
    Hostafan1 says:

This year I'm going to have a " cuttings garden" in the allotment. I kinda hate cutting flowers from the garden to take indoors, so a dedicated area seems sensible.

See original post

I'd love to do that, but haven't got room.