Forum home Plants

Help me Understand My Ficus

2»

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

soak the root ball in some water and it will break down a bit, use your fingers to try and comb the roots to clear the clay and when you re pot spread the roots out

• DurrendalDurrendal IndiaPosts: 62
    treehugger80 says:

soak the root ball in some water and it will break down a bit, use your fingers to try and comb the roots to clear the clay and when you re pot spread the roots out

See original post

Alright.

I remembered something else. I had taken a cutting of another Ficus and put it in a pot. The thing had a couple of green leaves. One had fallen but then the other had stayed on firmly, so I thought it had taken hold. After the absence that cause the Ficus in pic to drop all its leaves, this cutting too had a strange turn. The sole leaf on it has turned almost white/colourless.

Is this due to underwatering/drought too?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

I may be totally wrong here , but it looks like its been far too cold at some stage .

F.microcarpa are tender plants and can only be grown outside for the summer months in the UK , even then in a very sheltered aspect away from cold winds .

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,218

Paul .image  ... the OP is in India    "... At average temperature of 12-28C and 40% humidity, ..."

Think that ought to be ok for it. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yikes!!!!!!!!.....................I stand (or sit) corrected !image

No fear of any frost then??image .

Thanks for that Dove .

Paul B3 says:

Yikes!!!!!!!!.....................I stand (or sit) corrected !image

No fear of any frost then??image .

Thanks for that Dove .

See original post

Frost? lol The joke in my part of the country is that we don't have winters, just cooler summers. USDA Zone 11-12.

Actually, my place is ideal for Ficus. You can't go down three blocks without seeing  a huge Religiosa or Bengalensis with 4-5ft diametre trunk and huge aerial roots. Most of the times they just germinate when birds shit out their seeds. In facr, they are considered pests because they grow on cracks and end up breaking walls in a house. Holy hell, they can' be get rid of without dousing it with acid.

But as this Microcarpa proved, very finicky in a pot.

Durrendal

My embarassed apologies ; didn't realise you were in India ! image

Your 'pest' Ficus species sound like they give the same problems as Buddleia does in the UK .

Paul B3 says:

Durrendal

My embarassed apologies ; didn't realise you were in India ! image

Your 'pest' Ficus species sound like they give the same problems as Buddleia does in the UK .

See original post

No apologies needed! I was just sharing an anecdote!

Isn't Buddleia a bush?

The main problem with Ficus as pests here is that it actually has cracked walls and foundations of many a house and kills off other plants by strangling. Even its sap is toxic a bit.

http://japaneseknotweed.com/buddleia-faqs/

I call it 'The Destroyer of Buildings' ; can be extremely invasive .

Paul B3 says:

http://japaneseknotweed.com/buddleia-faqs/

I call it 'The Destroyer of Buildings' ; can be extremely invasive .

See original post

Oh wow. I saw a few pics and a bush filled with Buddleia looks very funny...like a buncha adult toys sticking out.xd

Apologies for my off-kilter humour.