what not to compost

I wonder how many gardeners are aware that tea bags - the bag itself - contains 20% plastic . Tea bags will not be going on my compost heap, (It seems all makes of tea are the same)  I am going to see if I can find an alternative. Anyone any ideas

John Whinnom

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,983

I JUST BUNG ‘EM ON AND AFTER A FEW MONTHS THEY DON’T HAVE MUCH FIGHT LEFT IN THEM. ANOTHER FEW MONTHS IN THE SOIL AND THEY ARE HARDLY VISIBLE.

IF PLASTIC IN YOUR GARDEN SOIL BOTHERS YOU, DON’T EVER LOOK TOO CLOSELY AT WHAT’S INSIDE THOSE BAGS OF “COMPOST”.image

Last edited: 29 January 2018 22:00:55

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hi 

There plenty of other kitchen waste that can be thrown in the compost bin, so I do not put tea bags in.

Simple ?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,224

I put tea bags in my compost bin a few years ago, I had strips of little plastic pieces everywhere.  I think they use the plastic strips to seal the tea bags otherwise they will just part when making a brew. I haven't put any in since, you can cut them open and use the tea leafs still but I haven't got time for that. 

• LynLyn Posts: 9,850

Try buying loose tea, cheaper and no bags. If I use tea bags I dry them off a bit on the windowsill or on the radiator and take the leaves out For the compost. Shame the bags have to go in the bin, but what else can you do? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,983

I USE YORKSHIRE TEA AND I CAN’T SAY THAT I FIND A PROBLEM WITH THEM DISINTEGRATING IN THE SOIL image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,559

Me neither - I have 10-12 cuppas a day. All the bags go in the compost. I'm still alive and the compost is lovely stuff

Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star
    Paul Dirac
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 12,662

I read yesterday that the use of plastic in tea bags will be stopping. 

SW Scotland
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,850

That’s a good start Joyce, hopefully next will be the silly silver plastic bag the whole lot are wrapped in, didn’t tea used to be straight in the cardboard box? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 866

I sometimes put used tea bags at the base of pots over the hole.It still allows drainage but stops soil falling through the hole.Can also help keep compost moist.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Chris 11Chris 11 NottinghamPosts: 238