Order for landscaping

Evening, this is my first post so Hello!!

we are aiming to rejuvenate our terraced house garden this year. Our plan is to take up the lawn as it’s a mess, patchy, sections of moss and relay turf. We want to add a patio area at the house end (we currently have a gravel arc with a table and chairs on), and a path down the middle of the garden, with some kind of small edged border to either side. 

My main question is the order in which to do things. I’ve read turf should be laid in autumn so am I best leaving existing lawn until closer to that time. Could I get on with laying the patio and path in the mean time? 

With regards getting up the lawn, would a sod cutter be the best way? 

Thank you you in advance for any help :-)

• I would do the patio and path first, then lay the lawn, as doing hard landscaping can make a mess of grass. Plus, you'll be able to lay turf right to the edges of the hard features for a nice neat job.

Turf can be laid 12 months of the year so don't worry about that. 

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Turf can be laid any time of year as long as it’s not too wet or frosty. Do the terrace or patio and any paths first. Also any bare rooted trees you may want to plant should be planted before the end of March. Now is the perfect time for that. Re the lawn; is it really that bad? Most lawns can be saved with mowing and some repair work, which is usually a lot less work.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,432

Although turf can be laid at any time of year, it's best laid when the grass is actively growing.  That really means between Spring and Autumn.  Laying in Spring or early Summer gives it the best chance to establish, just try to avoid laying it if very hot weather is forecast.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,828

the question i have is why the existing lawn is patchy?

overhanging trees, desire line paths, dogs weeing, compacted soil/poor drainage? because unless you solve those problems the patchy lawn will be back within a year

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Tree Hugger asked the question I would ask, why is the lawn patchy, you may have to take a major operation before laying Turf. I also understand why people would put down gravel instead of hard paving the gravel allows drainage where as hard paving does not. Having had to replace the damp course on a house we lived in because of brick rot caused by splashes from paving right up to the wall I now leave a gravel gulley if laying paves. 

Sort your Patio area first then look at the lawn area when the weather picks up and grass starts to grow, I would take out plugs to see what is under the grass before starting a major operation.

Frank.